THE WHEAT BARN, 35 METRES NORTH EAST OF CRESSING TEMPLE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1123866

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: THE WHEAT BARN, 35 METRES NORTH EAST OF CRESSING TEMPLE FARMHOUSE, WITHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE WHEAT BARN, 35 METRES NORTH EAST OF CRESSING TEMPLE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123866 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 11:38:00.

Location

Statutory Address: THE WHEAT BARN, 35 METRES NORTH EAST OF CRESSING TEMPLE FARMHOUSE, WITHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Cressing

National Grid Reference: TL 79942 18771

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CRESSING WITHAM ROAD TL 71 NE (east side)

4/73 The Wheat Barn, 35 2.5.53 metres north-east of Cressing Temple Farmhouse (formerly listed as Cressing Temple with two barns)

GV I

Barn. Mid to late C13, altered in early C16 and C18. Timber framed, brick-nogged and partly weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red plain tiles, on plinth of red brick in various bonds. 7 bays aligned approx. NW-SE, with 2 aisles and midstrey to SW. 40 metres long, 13 metres wide, 13 metres high above the plinth, which is approx. 3 metres high at the NW end owing to the site gradient. Vents in brick nogging. The main roof has a gablet hip at each end; the midstrey is half-hipped. The original structure is fully described, with measured drawings and perspective details, in C.A. Hewett, The Development of Carpentry, L200-1700, an Essex Study, 1969, 40-7, 58-61, 174, 189, dated by radio-carbon to c.1255. Dendrochronological analysis of one core indicates construction soon after 1280 (Fletcher, Tapper and Morris, Vernacular Architecture 16, 1985, 41). In a major alteration of the C16 the walls have been rebuilt with jowled posts, with edge-halved and bridled scarfs in the wallplates, and straight or near-straight braces below the aisle ties and above some of them. The brick nogging is not an original feature of these walls; the bricks appear to be C18 or later, and the grooves in the posts to key the mortar are cut after the timber has become fully seasoned. Many studs have been replaced during this operation, or later; the least disturbed studding is in the NW bays of the NE wall. The wallplate at the SE end is re-used from the original construction, 12 metres long in one piece, retaining the matrices of open and secret notched-lap joints. Some arcade-posts have been shored up for replacement of the sills and brick footings below, as at the Barley Barn (item 4/72, q.v.). The midstrey is contemporary with the alterations to the walls; the aisle ties are continuous with the wallplates of the midstrey. The great doors and winnowing doors in the midstrey are C18. Opposite the midstrey, the winnowing doors are C18, the great doors C19. RCHM 3.

Listing NGR: TL7994218771

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116397

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hewett, C A, The Development of Carpentry 1200-1700 An Essex Study, (1969), 40-7,55-61
'Vernacular Architecture' in Vernacular Architecture, , Vol. 16, (1985), 41

End of official listing