PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1123870

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123870 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 06:51:09.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Stisted

National Grid Reference: TL 79873 24601

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 7924 STISTED THE STREET (west side)

7/283 Parish Church of All 21.12.67 Saints

- I

Parish church. Late C12, C13 and C14, restored and extended in C19. Flint and pebble rubble with some indurated conglomerate, with dressings of limestone and clunch, roofed with handmade red plain tiles and lead. Late C12 N arcade, early C13 S arcade, C13 Chancel, C14 N vestry, N and S aisles, C19 S tower in angle between Chancel and S aisle, and C19 N and S porches. The Chancel has chamfered and stopped E quoins (the NE much restored), and in the E wall 5 graduated C13 lancets with chamfered and rebated jambs and heads, all partly restored, with rear-arches chamfered to the outside and inside; above them is a round window, apparently all C19. In the N wall are 2 windows; the eastern is a C13 lancet with chamfered jambs and head; the western is C14, of 3 trefoiled ogee lights with moulded mullions and tracery in a segmental-pointed head with a moulded label and grotesque stops, and a chamfered rear-arch, partly restored. Further E is a C14 doorway with chamfered jambs and 2-centred head. On the SE quoin is a scratch-dial, the gnomon missing. In the S wall are 2 C13 lancets with chamfered jambs and heads, much restored. The C13 chancel-arch is 2-centred and of one roll-moulded order; the square responds have moulded imposts. The roof is C19. The Chancel was restored by the Reverend Charles Forster between 1839 and 1859 (Kelly's Post Office Directory, 1859, 165). The N vestry has chamfered and stopped quoins similar to those of the Chancel, a C19 E wall and window, and a C19 W doorway. The Nave has a N arcade of 5 bays, with early C13 2-centred arches of one chamfered order; the easternmost arch was probably inserted in the deep C12 respond, and the E respond has a late C12 chamfered impost re-set; the column in place of the former respond is circular and has a moulded square capital carved with one grotesque head, 2 defaced heads (one of which is recessed within a roundel), and a rose with a dragon and a bird feeding off it; the base is C19. The second and third columns are late C12, circular with moulded square abaci and moulded capitals elaborately carved with conventional foliage; the bases are mainly C19. The fourth pier is square and chamfered, and has a late C12 respond on the E face, with a chamfered impost foliated at one angle; the westernmost arch springs from a lower level and has C13 moulded imposts. The S arcade is of 5 bays, the E and W bays corresponding to those of the N arcade; the whole arcade is C13 and has arches uniform with those of the N arcade. The easternmost column is similar to that opposite, but has the capital carved with one grotesque head and one foliate boss (damaged), the others being uncarved blanks suitable for another head and boss. The second and third columns are circular and have moulded square capitals, the bases partly restored. The clerestorey has on each side 3 quatrefoiled windows, probably C14 but all C19 externally, with chamfered segmental rear-arches. The W wall of the Nave has been rebuilt in the C19; it has 5 C19 windows and a C19 doorway which incorporates some C13/14 stones. The roof is of 3 bays and has 4 crownpost trusses, each crownpost octagonal with moulded capitals and bases, with 4-way rising braces on the inner ones and 3-way on the end ones; the collar-purlin is moulded; there are soulaces to every rafter couple. It probably dates from the building of the clerestorey in the C14 or early C15, but the tiebeams and moulded wallplates are C19, and the whole has been rebuilt in the C19. The N aisle has been rebuilt in the C14; it has in the E wall a window which is all C19 except for part of the splays and chamfered segmental rear-arch, which are C14. In the N wall are 2 windows, C19 except the C14 splays and rear-arches; the eastern has a hollow-chamfered 2-centred rear-arch and low sill; the western has a plain-chamfered 2-centred rear-arch. The N doorway is C19 except the C14 splays and hollow-chamfered 3-centred rear-arch. The roof is a lean-to of shallow pitch, with hollow-chamfered tiebeams and chamfered arch-braces to them, an axial purlin partly moulded and partly chamfered, and plain rafters of horizontal section, rebuilt in the C19; the stone plate hooks are late C12. The S aisle was rebuilt in the early C14. In the S wall are 2 windows, C19 externally; the eastern has C14 keel-moulded splays and segmental rear-arch, and a low sill; in the E splay is the head of a cinquefoiled ogee niche with recessed spandrels; in the W splay is a C19 equivalent. The western window has C14 keel-moulded splays and 2-centred rear-arch. Between them is the re-set C13 S doorway with jambs and 2-centred arch of 2 orders, one plain and one hollow- chamfered. The W jamb has graffiti of 1697 and later. In the W wall is a window similar to the western window in the S wall. The roof is a lean-to, of steeper pitch than that of the N aisle; all the arch-braces are hollow- chamfered, and there are short crownposts of unusual shape clasping the tiebeams; it has been rebuilt in the C19. The S tower was built in 1844 for Onley Savill Onley; it has 6 bells (W. White, Directory of Essex, 1863, 315). The roof of the C19 N porch has re-used lead with embossed and inscribed designs incorporating the churchwardens' names, the date 1677, and a shield of arms of Turner of Suffolk. Fittings: 2 piscinae (1) in the E wall of the Chancel, with moulded segmental head, moulded and shafted jambs with capitals and bases, stone shelf and octofoiled drain, C13, (2) in the S wall of the S aisle, with wave-moulded and stopped jambs, cinquefoiled ogee head and sexfoiled drain, early C14. The early C18 pulpit is semi-hexagonal with panelled and bollection- moulded sides and inlaid centres, and one panel with a shield of arms, base C19. C16 and C17 Flemish glass is re-set among C19 glass in the E, NE and SE windows of the Chancel; and some C14 or C15 English glass of tabernacle work in the SE window; the glass was given by Onley Savill Onley between 1844 and 1859 (Kelly's Post Office Directory, 1859, 165). On the N wall of the Chancel is a brass of Elizabeth (Glascock), wife of John Wyseman, 1584, with figures of woman and daughter kneeling at prayer-desk, and shield of arms. In the Chancel are floor-slabs (1) of Mary, wife first of Sir Thomas Wiseman and later of Sir Henry Appleton, bart., 1685, black marble, (2) of William Lyngwood, 1699/1700, and Elizabeth, his wife, 1719, white marble with cartouche of arms, (3) of John Savill, 1734, and Samuel Savill, 1763, black marble with cartouche of arms, and (4) of Joannes Barlow Seale, 1838, black marble; the last 3 are partly covered by the altar-base. In the Nave is a floor-slab of William May, 1837, and William May, 1840. In the floor of the S porch is a plain slab, reported by the RCHM to have an early C14 inscription in Lombardic letters. There are wall- monuments in the Chancel (1) of Mary, wife of the Reverend Samuel Jackson, 1749, white and grey marble with pediment, urn and 2 lamps, pilasters, and a painted shield of arms, (2) of the Reverend Samuel Jackson, 1792, and Jane, his wife, 1779, similar to the above, (3) of the Reverend John Escreet, 1823, white marble tablet on slate, and (4) of Sarah Elizabeth Dodsworth, 1825, white marble tablet. On the N wall of the N aisle is a monument of Philip Simpson, 1834, Mary, his first wife, 1790, and Sarah Mary, his second wife, 1834. On the S wall of the S aisle is a monument of Simon Finch, 1801, and his widow Sarah, 1807, tablet of white and black marble with pilasters and pediment. On the E wall of the S aisle is a C17 inscribed boundary stone removed from the churchyard wall in 1909 when the boundary was altered. Incorporated in the modern organ screen in the Chancel are 4 linenfold panels with traceried heads, early C16. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL7987324601

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116302

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Whites Directory' in Essex, (1863), 315
'Kellys' in Post Office Directory, (1859), 165 169

End of official listing