This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE FLEECE PUBLIC HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE FLEECE PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1123893

Location

THE FLEECE PUBLIC HOUSE, 27, WEST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Coggeshall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Sep-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 116257

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL WEST STREET (south side)

9/228 No. 27 (The Fleece 2.5.53 Public House) (formerly listed as The Fleece Inn)

GV II*

House, now public house. C15 and early C17, altered in C18, C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 4-bay main range facing N with external stack to rear of left bay, early C17. To right, C15 2-bay crosswing surviving from a former hall house on the site of the present main range. C17 full-length 2-storey lean-to to rear of main range and crosswing. C18 2-storey extension to rear of left end, roofed as a parallel range, C20 single-storey wing to rear of it, and early C19 single-storey lean-to extension to right of it, roofed with red clay pantiles. Early C19 single- storey wing to rear of crosswing, extended to right in C20. 2 storeys. Full- length jetty, and below it one C18 square bay of casements with pulvinated frieze and brick below, casements altered; and 2 early C19 splayed bays of sashes, respectively of 4-20-20-4 and 4-20-4 lights, with 5 simple pilasters, continuous plain fascia and moulded shallow canopy. First floor, 3 early C19 tripartite sashes of 4-12-4 lights. Much crown glass. Mid-C18 half-glazed door with 9 lights, 8 of original bullseye glass, one inscribed 'G. 1752', transferred from an internal position. Double vehicle doors to passage through, to left of crosswing. Pargetting on first floor, with C17/18 vine-leaf frieze and roll-moulding below eaves, and modern date 1505, restored or modern designs in panels below it. Scrolled wrought iron bracket for inn sign. In the vehicle entry, at rear right, is a mid-C18 window of 12 fixed lights, one of original bullseye glass. In the left elevation of the rear left wing is one mid-C18 sash of 12 lights, re-set, and one early C19 sash of 16 lights. To the rear of the rear lean-to is one early C19 sash of 10+10 lights. Framing is exposed internally in the upper right wall of the crosswing, with wide curved tension bracing trenched into the studs. The walls have been raised approximately one metre in the early C17 rebuild, and the floor and jetty rebuilt; chamfered transverse and axial beams with lamb's tongue stops. The main range has jowled posts; the front left post has a carved and ovolo-moulded step supporting the girt; chamfered binding and bridging beams with lamb's tongue stops, joists plastered to the soffits. A ground-floor studded partition has been removed. The upper storey is of unusual height, with similar beams and joists above. In the front wall of it is one blocked original window in the main range, with one ovolo mullion, the saddle bars missing, and a similar inserted window in the crosswing. On each floor is an original wood-burning hearth with ovolo-moulded jambs and depressed arch, and rear splays. The date 1505 in the modern pargetting has no historical basis, derived only from Paycockes, to the left (item 9/227, q.v.). Listed at the higher grade for exceptionally complete details of the early C17 phase, and later exterior features. RCHM 86.

Listing NGR: TL8477622498

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 84776 22498

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123893 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 08:41:59.

End of official listing