This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1123935

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

District Type: District Authority

Parish: High Laver

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 118086

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 527 087 HIGH LAVER 5/16 Parish Church of 20.2.67 All Saints

GV II*

Parish church, late C12, altered in mid-C14. W tower mid-C14, repaired in late C18. N vestry, S porch and general restoration, late C19. Flint rubble intermixed with some Roman brick, with dressings of clunch, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. The chancel has in the E wall 3 lancet windows, C19, except the splays, and 2 more in the N wall. W of these is a blocked doorway, C13, with chamfered jambs and 2-centred head. In the S wall there are 3 windows, the first and third uniform with those of the N wall; the second is of 2 lights under a square head, C19 except the moulded splays and rear-arch, C15. Between the second and third windows there is a C19 doorway. There is a piscina with trefoiled head and roll cusp points and 2 circular drains, C13. The chancel arch is 4-centred, of 2 orders with moulded responds and arch, c.1340, and moulded bases cut back for a screen, not present now. The nave has quoins of Roman brick, and has been refaced in the C20. In the N wall are 2 windows, the eastern is C19 except the splays and 4-centred reach-arch, plain chamfered with broach stops, late C14; the western is a C19 lancet with round rear-arch, late C12. Further W is the late C12 N doorway with chamfered W impost, semi- circular head and square jambs, partly restored. In the S wall are 3 windows, C19 except the splays, late C14. The eastern has a double ogee moulding, the others are plain chamfered, the western with broach stops. Between the 2 westernmost is the S doorway, C13, with chamfered jambs and 2-centred head. The door is battened with fillets and strap-hinges, C16. The W tower is of 3 stages, with a moulded plinth. The tower arch is 2-centred, with one wave- moulded order and one double-chamfered order on the E side and 3 chamfered orders on the W. The W window is of 2 trefoiled and ogee-headed lights with an octfoil in a 2-centred head with internal and external labels, C14, partly restored, and wrought iron grills, incomplete. Across the SW corner is a blocked doorway with 2-centred head. There are blocked windows in the N, S and W of the second stage, indistinct; that on the N has a label and 2-centred head. The SW corner and the bell-chamber were extensively repaired in red brick in 1789 (VCH, IV, 94). The roof of the chancel is of 7 cants, lathed and plastered, with 2 tiebeams and wallplates moulded with a bowtell in great casement, C14/15. The roof of the nave is also of 7 cants, lathed and plastered, with wallplates moulded with an ogee and hollow chamfer with converging stops, and 2 tiebeams plain-chamfered with step stops, C14/15. There is a small sanctus bell inscribed XRE AUDI NOS, probably C14, and one other. The font has an octagonal bowl with moulded underside, back face with quatrefoiled panel enclosing a blank shield, panelled and traceried stem, mid C14. In the floor of the chancel there is a brass of Myrabyll, wife of Edward Sulyard, with figures of man in armour, woman in pedimental headdress, close bodice and full skirt, inscription below, and figures of 4 sons and a daughter, c.1495. There are wall monuments (1) to Damaris, widow of Ralph Cudworth, 1695, white marble tablet (2) to Rev. Samuel Lowe, 1709 and Ann (Andrew) his wife, 1693, white marble tablet surmounted by a damaged broken pediment containing a cartouche of arms (3) to Rev. Richard Cudworth, 1803 and his sons Richard Charles, 1795, and Thomas 1797, white marble with urn and shield of arms, and (4) tablet to Peter La-Chesney Heude, 1807. There are floor slabs to Sir Francis Masham, bart., 1722 and the Honourable Mrs. Elizabeth Masham, 1724, both in black marble. Outside, against the S wall of the nave, is the tomb- chest of John Locke, philosopher, 1704, brick with stone slab and cast iron railings. -

Listing NGR: TL5274608673

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Essex, (1956), 94

National Grid Reference: TL 52746 08673

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123935 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 12:13:50.

End of official listing