HUBBARD'S HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123949

Date first listed: 23-Dec-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Apr-1984

Statutory Address: HUBBARD'S HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of HUBBARD'S HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123949 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 12:48:40.

Location

Statutory Address: HUBBARD'S HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Harlow (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 48379 10440

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 484 104 MATCHING Hubbard's Hall (formerly listed under 2/36 Churchgate Street) 23.12.83 GV II

Manor house, c.1400, extended at various periods up to the C20. Timber framed, red brick, English and Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Hall of 3 bays aligned approx. N-S with cross-entry and spere truss at S end, c.1400. Inserted axial chimney stack in middle bay of hall, C16. N crosswing, c.1600, with external chimney stack on N side. S crosswing, early C17, overlapping S end of hall by approx. 2 metres, with chimney stack near the middle. Parallel N-S range to the E, C17/18, and extra crosswing S of the S crosswing, C17/18. Large reception wing added to NE, and service quarters to SE by Clough Williams-Ellis, 1934. Single storey flat-roofed extension to N and W of N crosswing, C19/20. Originally the main entrance was to the W at the S end of the hall; the alterations of 1934 provided a new entrance to the N. W elevation of hall and first 2 crosswings faced with red brick, English bond, with moulded stone coping on parapet and gables, C17, and minor alterations in flettons. The gables of the crosswings project slightly, indicating the probability of underbuilt jetties. 4-panel door with upper panels glazed, scattered fenestration consisting of C18 and C19 double-hung sash windows and one tripartite sash window. Round windows with crossed glazing bars in each gable, the southern one blind. Gabled dormer in N bay of hall. W end of additional S crosswing weatherboarded. Internally the framing is almost wholly concealed. Part of one arched brace to the main tiebeam of the hall is visible from the ground floor, and another section of tiebeam and brace is visible within a first floor cupboard. The roof of the hall is of crownpost construction, with collar braces (soulaces) to every rafter couple, all timbers heavily smoke-blackened. The crownpost of the main truss is octagonal with moulded capital and base and 4 arched braces, of which one is severed for the inserted chimney stack immediately to the S. N of this truss the hall roof is partly rebuilt with clasped purlins, with an attic inserted, lit by the dormer already mentioned. The crownpost of the spere truss is plain, very tall, with short arched braces to ech side and one axial brace to the N; there never was a brace to the S. S of the spere truss the roof of the S crosswing impinges on the hall roof, leaving only the collar purlin present. Re-used timbers from the medieval hall are present in the roof, including a section of moulded wallplate and a large moulded mullion from the main window. The crosswing roofs are of clasped purlin construction. The hall is of exceptional size, approx. 11.88 metres long by 7.92 metres wide, height not measured but sufficient for 2 generous storeys and an attic, comparable with the hall of Harlowbury, 1.8 km. to the NNE, of which it was a dependent manor, both held by the Abbot of Edmundsbury. Hubbard's Hall was in the parish of Harlow until 1946. L. H. Bateman (ed): History of Harlow, 1969, 41. Many of the walls have a panelled dado, late C18, and above it fabric stretched on a rear frame, a rare survival, covered with wallpaper.

Listing NGR: TL4837910440

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 118128

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
History of Harlow, (1969)

End of official listing