Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1124048

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1984



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124048 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 02:22:21.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Ongar

National Grid Reference: TL 55406 05040


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 50 NE ONGAR SHELLEY CHURCH LANE Church of St. Peter 2/141


Church. 1888. Habershon and Fawkner. The third known church on the site and built from money raised by subscription, £3000 being given by Revd. W.M. Oliver of Bobbingworth. Red brick built, the exterior clad with dressed flint. Early English style with stone dressings to windows, doors and quoins. Red tiled roof with pierced ridge. Nave, Chancel, North Tower with North door and South Porch. The North Tower of 3 orders with stone capped dressed, angled buttresses, 3 light lancets to east and west ground floor faces, stone roundels with trefoils and stopped labels to second stage and 2 light belfr y openings with stopped labels. 2 centre arch door surround of moulded orders with 2 shafts left and right with moulded bases, Corinthian capitals, foliate stopped label. Broached, shingle spire. Nave, aisle and chancel with matching stone capped and dressed buttresses. One, two or three light lancet windows all stone dressed and with foliate stops to labels. East window, stone of 3 lancet lights with 3 roundels over and foliate stops to labels. South porch of timber, with red tile roof and matching pierced ridge tiles. West window of 3 light, 2 stage lancets with foliate label stops and circular light above. All windows with original diamond leaded, pink, green and lemon glass with red and white margins. Stained glass East window. Internally a theme of red brick walls, cream stone window dressings with a black brick band continuing over each lancet head. Colour theme extended to floor tiles. Vertical wooden panelling to pews. Arcade of 3 two centred arches, and a 2 centre Chancel Arch and Vestry arch, the two latter,stone dressed, with foliate stops to labels. 7 cant roof to Nave and 5 cant boarded roof to Chancel. Altar furniture of black, red and gold and the colour theme again in Bishops Chair and Font cover and lectern. Stone octagonal Pulpit with 2 light lancet design. Brass communion rails with involucres and bosses and twisted bases. William and Mary Font. There is a painting "The Madonna di Foligno" after Raphael, in the Church. Monuments to Hodesley Green 8 December 1699. Fridswid Green 1630 John Greene 1595. The Greenes lived at Shelley Hall 1580-Early Cl8. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL5540605040


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 117856

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing