Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124095.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 20:15:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Epping Forest (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 53879 02974


TL 50 SW ONGAR GREENSTED 4/52 Church of St. Andrew


Church. A unique structure, the vertical split oak, log walls of the nave said to have been dated by dendro-magnetic method to 845 AD. St. Edmund's body reputedly rested here c.1013 whilst on its journey to Bury St. Edmunds. The Church was re-roofed during reign of Henry VII and heavily restored and underpinned 1837/48. Carved spandrels depicting the legend of St. Edmund were added and dormer windows inserted. The Chancel was rebuilt in red brick c.1500 and there is an original arched and moulded doorway and window on the south side. The timber framed and weatherboarded Tower, with a brooched shingle spire is of uncertain date and has 3 louvre openings to the Belfry, and a 3 light diamond leaded window. There is a 3 light window with cuspings and tracery above to the ground floor. Nave and Chancel roofs of plain red tiles with 3 gabled dormers to north and south, each with 2 light, leaded windows and barge boards to gables. Stone coping to Nave and Chancel gable ends. Chancel with flint plinth, probably of the original Norman Chancel. Round head moulded brick windows with drip hoods to north and south walls, in addition to the original window and doorway. A 3 light east window with cusped tracery above, moulded brick surround and label. Stone capped buttresses to all Chancel ends. Red tiled, gabled South porch is timber framed with barge boards to gable. Internally the Chancel Arch is of Cl6 moulded brick in two orders. There is a pillar piscina of uncertain date, a small arched panel painting of St. Edmund c1500 and in the west window a c.1500 stained glass head of a man reputed to be St. Edmund. Pulpit of moulded timber panels dated 1698. Monuments T. Smith 1585, R. Hewyt, 26 April 1724. (RCHM 1; C.A. Hewett, 1974).

Listing NGR: TL5387902974


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Hewett, C A , Church Carpentry A Study Based on Essex Examples, (1982)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/11992/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].