CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1124307

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124307 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 23:51:44.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Whitchurch

National Grid Reference: SP 80278 20871

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 8020 WHITCHURCH CHURCH LANE

9/192 Church of St. John

21.12.67

GV II*

Parish church. Late C13-mid C14 with C15 S. porch and C15-C16 clerestory. Heavily restored 1911. Coursed limestone rubble, lead roofs, tiled porch. W. tower of 3 stages is set between the aisles, with angle buttresses to W. corners, battlemented parapet and paired pointed lights with Tudor hoodmoulds to bell-chamber. S. side also has single light and carved stone sundial dated 1828. W. side has heavily restored C14 doorway with moulded arch on triple shafts, and 2-light traceried window with canopied niches in jambs. Arched niche above. Nave has moulded parapet and 3-bay clerestory of 2-light cusped windows.N. aisle has traceried windows in E. bays, and 3-light uncusped window to N. of W. bay with segmental zig-zag moulding over. Moulded doorway. S. aisle more regular with 3-light cusped windows, 2 in E. bays with flat heads, the other with 4-centred head; altered and blocked round window to E. Brick buttress between E. windows. Moulded S. doorway has hoodmould with carved head stops and cusped niche above. S. porch is dated 1657 on tablet and has wide chamfered arch on semi-octagonal piers with carved heads to stops and apex of hoodmould. Chancel has altered plain parapet and 3 bays of traceried windows, 2-light to N. and S., 3-light to E. Interior: tower has triple chamfered arches to nave and aisles, the nave arch taller and with the inner order continued down jambs. Nave has 4-bay arcades of double chamfered arches, those to S. on circular piers, those to N. on octagonal piers, all with moulded capitals and bases. Cusped ogee niche to right of chancel arch, shallow niche with pointed head in N.E. pier. Nave and aisle roofs are late C15-C16 with moulded cross beams. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner order on semi-octagonal piers. Fine C14 piscina and sedilia with moulded arches on triple shafts, the piscina arch pointed and cusped, the sedilia arch segmental. Fittings: choir stalls have some early C16 ends with poppyheads initialled R.H.; one similar pew in nave; some old tiles in chancel; early C17 pulpit; font dated 1661 with small carved marble basin on wooden baluster, and fine wrought iron hoist for cover; C17 poor box; early C19 box pew belonging to the Westcar family. Late C15 wall painting in N. aisle. Monuments: 2 marble tablets in chancel with hands pointing downwards, one an oval tablet to Ann Gaderen 1669, the other with paired oval inscription panels to Bennett and Martha Gaudrey 1660 and 1656; marble monument to John Westcar 1833, by John Gibson, with relief of gentleman standing infront of a bull and some sheep; 3 small brass incription tablets 1699-1707 in nave. RCHM II p. 322-324.

Listing NGR: SP8027820871

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 42340

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

End of official listing