CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124714.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:44:15.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- St. Minver Lowlands
- National Grid Reference:
- SW 93687 75367
SW 97 NW ST MINVER PORTHILLY
3/313 Church of St. Michael (previously
6.6.69 listed as Church of St. Michael,
Chapelry dedicated to St. Michael. Circa C12 church with main structure of nave,
chancel and south transept surviving. Circa early C12 front. South transept, partly
remodelled in C13 with contemporary lancet window and piscina surviving. Circa C15
south chancel aisle. Restored in 1865-7 when part of existing structure rebuilt,
south porch and south tower rebuilt and vestry added. Vicar at time of restoration
W. Hart-Smith and architect responsible possibly J.P. St Aubyn.
Stone rubble with C19 granite dressings. Slate roof with gable ends; nave and
chancel in one. C19 south tower above porch with saddle-back roof.
Plan; C12 church probably comprised nave, chancel and south transept with possible
archaeological evidence indicating existence of north transept. In circa C13 the
south transept was widened to the west and a lancet was placed in the east wall. In
circa C15 a narrow one bay south chancel aisle was added, and an arch was inserted at
the north east corner of the south transept to provide a form of hagioscope between
the transept and chancel. In circa C15 the nave, chancel and south transept were re-
roofed and in the late C15 to early C16 the roodscreen and pulpit were added. By
1865 the church had fallen into a state of decay and the subsequent restoration
included much rebuilding; much of the tracery in the chancel and in the west of the
nave was restored or replaced, the south porch and south tower above rebuilt, and a
vestry was added. Within, the chapel was largely refurnished, the roodscreen was
partly restored and the waggon roofs were heavily restored, especially above the
chancel. The chapel is positioned on the east side of Porthilly Cove overlooking the
Camel Estuary. The nave and chancel are continuous under a long low roof with gable
ends; the chancel window was restored in 1865, the surround with its basket arch
retained and the scroll dripstones probably reworked. The west window of the nave
was renewed with C19 Perpendicular tracery. The north elevation refrains unpierced
with the C19 vestry added to the east of the roodloft projection under a continuous
outshut roof. The south transept retains a restored 3-light Perpendicular window in
the south gable end and a C13 lancet window in the east wall.
The C19 south tower of 2 stages comprises an entrance porch on the ground floor with
a moulded 2-centred granite arch and a 2-light opening with slate louvres to the
Interior: The C15 waggon roofs to the nave, chancel and south transept were heavily
restored in 1865 with some moulded ribs-and moulded wall plates surviving in the
south transept. The chancel roof appears to have been largely renewed. The one bay
arcade to the south chancel aisle has type A (Pevsner) piers, moulded base and caps
and 4-centred arch. The 4-centred arch forming the return to the north east of the
south transept is moulded on the west face and chamfered on the east.
The furnishings have been largely renewed in the C15 and C20. The lower framework of
the C19 rood- screen survives; the moulded and chamfered stiles are carved with
rosettes and the bases stopped with ornate carvings of vases and floral trails. The
cill survives in part. The circa early C16 pulpit is also a high quality, with
contemporary moulded stem and hexagonal drum carved with linen fold panelling. Circa
C13 picina in east wall of south transept, C14 piscina in south wall of chancel and
credence or ambry in north wall.
The C12 font has a circular bowl, round shaft with cable moulding and square base.
To the north of the font is a slate ledger stone in memory of William Rounsevall who
died in 1659; border inscription, decorated panel and verse. Also details of will of
Helen Prositt, died 1760 who bequeathed money to the poor of St. Minver Lowlands.
Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor
in the County of Cornwall, 1879, vol III
Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall. 2nd ed 1972.
The Parish of St. Minver, Church guide.
Listing NGR: SW9368775367
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
The Parish of St Minver Church Guide
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing