This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TREWETHERN FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TREWETHERN FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1124731

Location

TREWETHERN FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Kew

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Jun-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 351574

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 07 NW ST KEW TREWETHERN 5/233 Trewethern Farmhouse - II Farmhouse. Circa 1500 or earlier, remodelled and extended in circa early C18. Stone rubble, partly slate-hung above ground floor on left-hand side. Asbestos slate roof with gable ends with projecting wing on front right with gabled end. Arrangement of roof altered on right and to rear on right when the house was re-roofed in the late C20. Projecting stone rubble stack with brick shaft on left-hand gable end, axial brick stack to right of centre heating central room and brick stack on rear slope at right-hand gable end. Original plan uncertain. One cruck truss of circa 1500 survives in the earlier range on the right, towards the gable end. The roof truss is competely clean and probably spanned an open hall which had a fireplace or alternatively a first floor parlour or solar. The house was probably remodelled and extended in the early C18; there is a straight joint on the front and rear elevations to left of the axial stack and there is evidence that the right-hand range was increased in depth, probably by about 1.5m. The house in circa early C18 comprised a 3-room and cross passage plan with the stair probably in a projection to the rear of the passage. The rooms were heated by gable end stacks with a brick axial stack heating the central room. The earlier range on the right thus became an inner room of considerable dimensions and by the mid C19 had become a large kitchen with a dairy added in a projecting wing on the front with a small service room in an outshut on the rear. 2 storeys regular 3-window front with fenestration disposed to left in later range and projecting 2-storey wing on front right. Ground floor with two 16-pane horned sashes flanking C19 entrance door and circa C19 porch with rendered piers and, flat roof. Three 3/6 pane sashes above ground floor openings. To right of projecting wing, second entrance with C19 6-panel door in lean-to stone rubble porch. Interior C18 range with circa late C18/early C19 open-string stair with turned newels and ramped rail. Left-hand room with segmental arched opening with fluted pilasters and circa late C18 chimney-piece. Earlier range on right remodelled in C18. Roof structure above right-hand range altered when re-roofed in late C20. Earlier roof of 5 bays remains below; 3 circa late C18 trusses with principals halved, lapped and pegged; collars partly halved, lapped and pegged onto face of principals and trenched purlins. Truss towards right-hand gable end circa 1500; cruck principals with cranked collar and arch braces; the principals reduce above collar level to open mortices intended to carry an upper tier of principals which appear to have slotted onto the back. However, this upper tier is now missing and only part of an apparently unusual joint survives; the principals have l-tier of holes for threaded purlins well below the collars. There is no evidence as to whether the upper principals supported any form of ridge. The foot of one of the principals has been truncated, probably in the late C20 when the relieving roof structure above was modified and the foot of the other has been boxed in.

Listing NGR: SX0059576516

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 00595 76516

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124731 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 07:55:28.

End of official listing