This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GOTT'S MONUMENT AT THE NATIONAL SOCIETY FOR EPILEPSY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GOTT'S MONUMENT AT THE NATIONAL SOCIETY FOR EPILEPSY

List entry Number: 1124827

Location

GOTT'S MONUMENT AT THE NATIONAL SOCIETY FOR EPILEPSY, CHESHAM LANE, CHALFONT ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Chiltern

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Chalfont St. Peter

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Dec-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Apr-2007

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 44772

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/02/2012

TQ 09 SW 6/26 22.12.58

CHALFONT ST PETER CHESHAM LANE Gott's Monument at the National Society for Epilepsy

(formerly listed as Obelisk, Monument Lane, Chalfont Common)

II

Obelisk milestone constructed in 1785, restored in 1879 and altered in the 1960s. Flint rubble with an inscribed stone plaque surrounded by a brick border. The plaque is at horseback height. The inscription on the plaque reads:

1785 To NEWLAND I Mile III Furl.g's To Chesham VII Miles Built by Sir H T Gott Restored by W Brown in 1879 To Denham IV Miles To Uxbridge VI Miles LONDON XXI

There is also an incised pointing hand between the 17 and 85 of the first line of inscription.

HISTORY: The monument was erected in 1785 by Sir H T Gott, and sits at the entrance to the Chalfont Epilepsy colony. Local tradition suggests that the monument either commemorates a hunt attended by George III, or an incident in which the king got lost in the forest surrounding the monument. The monument was damaged by a lightning strike in 1879, and repaired by W Brown. After a second lightning strike in the 1960s the height of the obelisk was reduced from 60ft to about 20ft.

SOURCES: C Haines, Marking the Miles, A History of English Milestones (Norwich, 2000), 97.

Summary of Importance: Milestones are important indicators of C18 and C19 road use, in a period which saw significant changes to transport and road engineering. Gott's Monument is a historically very interesting because of its combined use as both milestone and commemorative monument.

Listing NGR: TQ0032492362

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Buckingham, (1908)

National Grid Reference: TQ 00324 92362

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124827 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 09:43:21.

End of official listing