This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BAYLINS FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BAYLINS FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1124947

Location

BAYLINS FARMHOUSE, PENN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Chiltern

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Penn

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Mar-1982

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 44552

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PENN PENN ROAD 1. 5134 (west side) Knotty Green Baylins Farmhouse SU 99 SW 3/56

II GV 2. Late medieval hall house with later alterations. Two storeys timber frame, brick and tile hanging. South elevation: gabled wing on right, upper part tile hung, one 3-light casement. Left hand part brick, timber arched door next to wing leading to passage: 4-light casement to ground floor, two 3-light casements in first floor. Addition on far right, 2 storeys and hipped roof (designed by Sir Edward Maufe, 1925). Loggia addition on left by Forbes and Tate, 1919. Eastern elevation of wing has exposed timber framing. North-east block added, and cart shed adapted to present north-west wing by Forbes and Tate. Old tile roof, brick stacks. Interior has original arch braced hall truss and curved wind braces visible on first floor. C16-C17 panelling in dining room and moulded inserted. C16 floor beams in living room. These have stencilled decorations by Macdonald Gill, early C20. This house was the home of Ambrose Heal, for whom it was carefully adapted by Forbes and Tate (Small Country Houses of Today Vol 3 by Sir Lawrence Weaver, Country Life 1925). (RCHM I 268-269 Monument 12).

Listing NGR: SU9297792438

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 3, (1925), 1925
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

National Grid Reference: SU 92977 92438

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124947 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 03:11:55.

End of official listing