This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1125323

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, OLD WOLVERTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Milton Keynes

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Wolverton and Greenleys

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 45630

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOLVERTON

891/2/9 OLD WOLVERTON ROAD 18-JUL-01 OLD WOLVERTON Church of the Holy Trinity

II*

Anglican Parish Church. 1809-1815, with medieval origins, by Henry Hakewill. Attleborough sandstone ashlar from Warwickshire, with some similar stone from Bilston, Staffordshire, conveyed to site by canal; limestone ashlar, probably re-used from previous church, below sill level and to gables. Welsh slate roofs to body of church, and flat copper roof to tower.

EXTERIOR: 2-bay nave with transepts, and square chancel with vestry to south side. Large west tower of 3 stages incorporating medieval central tower. Large west portal of 3 orders with interlacing arcading over. Tower, nave and transepts have round-headed windows. Chancel has over-sized round east window with Portland stone tracery of 8 lobes round large central circle. Corbel table to parapet. Prominent gables to transepts and chancel, which rise above roofs, flanked by octagonal lantern turrets with ribbed pyramidal finials; based on similar turrets at Peterborough Cathedral.

INTERIOR: Tower has blocked C14 arches to north and south sides, to former transeptal chapels, of 2 chamfered pointed arches dying into piers within chamfered, shouldered arch with pointed arched head. They are of Northamptonshire limestone set in local coursed limestone rubble. Doorway to SW corner, leading to medieval stone spiral staircase. Re-used stone paving to tower and nave. 3 stone steps up to chancel, which has re-used C17 limestone paving with small black polished slate squares to intersections, and black and white marble chequer paving within communion rails. Flat beamed ceilings, except to chancel, which has ribbed plaster vault with large central boss. Wall paintings of c.1870 to east wall of nave, round chancel arch and to east wall by Daniel Bell of the firm Bell and Almond, which carried out a complete scheme of polychromatic, stencilled decoration designed by Edward Swinfen Harris; stencilled decoration has been painted over in places. Large monument to north side of chancel in grey veined marble, dated 1685, with recumbent figure of Sir Thomas Longueville (d. 1685) in statuary marble, attributed to Thomas Stayner. Stained glass east window of 1888 by Nathaniel Westlake, made by firm of Lavers and Westlake. Nave has stained glass windows probably designed by Daniel Bell, of c.1870-79. Other C19 stained glass windows to north and south windows of transepts. Round stone pulpit with decoration by Bell and Almond of c. 1870. Font has tall oak font cover by E. Swinfen Harris.

SOURCES: Records of Buckinghamshire, Vol.4 1871, 94-6 N. Pevsner, Buildings of England, Buckinghamshire, 1960, 299. J. Brushe, A History and Description of Holy Trinity Church, Wolverton, 1999.

Listing NGR: SP8032241300

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 80322 41300

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125323 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 02:02:18.

End of official listing