KIT'S CLOSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1125737

Date first listed: 22-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: KIT'S CLOSE, BENHAM'S LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of KIT'S CLOSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125737 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 06:32:30.

Location

Statutory Address: KIT'S CLOSE, BENHAM'S LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe (District Authority)

Parish: Fawley

National Grid Reference: SU 75686 86626

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 78 NE FAWLEY BENHAM'S LANE

6/7 Kit's Close

II

House. 1936-1937, by Christopher Nicholson, for Dr. Warren Crowe. Later slight alterations and swimming pool extension at S.W. end. Brick, laid in header bond with the headers set vertically, mostly rendered. Render on N.W. front whitewashed, render to S.E. now painted pink. Flat roofs. Whitewashed chimneys with revolving funnels. L-plan. Built in International Modern style. 2 storeys, with single storey service wing. Entrance front to N.W. has 4 bays of 2 and 3-light metal casements, one louvred, to left, and central staircase projection with glazed left side, blind wall curving back to right, and entrance in right side. Remainder of entrance front to right has curved ground floor wall behind flat porch canopy, barred wooden bay window with square panes, and 8-light metal casement to first floor. To far right is blind rendered wall and brick garden wall incorporating small glass-house. Glazing bars of glass- house have been removed. To left of entrance front is projecting service wing with 6 port-hole windows and garage. S.W. end has first floor projection on steel poles, one replaced by rendered pier, and later C20 verandah and swimming pool extension. Garden front has blank brick projection to left, and continuous casements to main centre block. Ground floor originally had large sliding wooden casements but now has fixed glazing in wooden frames of original size. Central French doors, later C20 opening plastic casement in right side. First floor has balcony with later C20 iron railings, metal casements and French doors, and right bay slightly recessed with flat projecting canopy over sleeping balcony. Set back to right is brick block with 10 small port-holes lighting servants' passage on first floor, and later C20 metal casements to right. Terrace, part with altered paving. Curved garden wall to far right. Exterior originally completely rendered and whitewashed. Interior: large ground floor room with central folding partition, plan inspired by shape of grand piano, and altered fireplace; cork-tiled winder staircase; fitted wooden shelves and cupboards with aluminium handles throughout. (Architectural Review Vol. LXXXIII, 1938 p. 305-309).

Listing NGR: SU7568686626

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 46657

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Architectural Review' in Architectural Review, , Vol. 83, (1938), 305-309

End of official listing