FAWLEY COURT (DIVINE MERCY COLLEGE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1125740
Date first listed:
07-Jul-1952
Statutory Address:
FAWLEY COURT (DIVINE MERCY COLLEGE)

Map

Ordnance survey map of FAWLEY COURT (DIVINE MERCY COLLEGE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125740 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-May-2019 at 13:55:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
FAWLEY COURT (DIVINE MERCY COLLEGE)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Buckinghamshire
District:
Wycombe (District Authority)
Parish:
Fawley
National Grid Reference:
SU 76520 84214

Details

SU 78 SE FAWLEY FAWLEY COURT

8/13 Fawley Court (Divine Mercy College) 7.7.52

GV I

School, formerly mansion. 1684, reputedly by Sir C. Wren, for William Freeman. Externally refurbished and extended to N.W. 1884 for Mackenzie family. Red brick with tuck pointing and ashlar dressings. Moulded wooden eaves cornice with carved scroll modillions and later rendered parapet above. Hipped slate roof, brick chimneys with moulded stone cornices and strings. H-plan. 2 storeys, basement and attic. N.W. front of 9 bays, other fronts of 7 bays. Moulded stone plinth, stone first floor band course and quoins. C19 sash windows without glazing bars, in plain stone surrounds with staff mouldings. Flat roofed dormers with sashes. N.W. front has 5 centre bays recessed with late C18-early C19 single storey entrance loggia. This has Ionic stone colonnade, entablature and balustrade. Central first floor window has shouldered architrave surround; central door has stone doorcase with Roman Doric pilasters, pulvinated frieze, cornice and central lion's-head keyblock. 1884 balustraded quadrant and pavilion in matching style to left. N. and S. fronts each have slight central projection of 3 bays with pediment. S. pediment has blind wreathed oeil-de-boeuf; N. pediment has similar blind window with keyed architrave surround. Interior: saloon has very fine plaster ceiling dated 1690 with central oval containing vine-leaf trail and thyrsi,surroundddby naturalistic foliage scrolls with birds and animals in high relief. Saloon also has late C18 doorcases with scroll friezes, one with pediment, and white marble fireplace by J.F. Moore in Athenian style with relief of lionesses, urns and paterae on frieze. Library has good plaster ceiling by James Wyatt c.1770-71, painted illusionistic relief panels by Anne Seymour Damer in frieze, and recess with 4 Ionic scagliola columns of 1804. Inlaid doors also by Mrs. Damer. Another fine ceiling by Wyatt in drawing room. Some other rooms retain late C18-early C19 ceilings and marble fireplaces, one with acanthus frieze, coved ceiling and painted wooden fireplace with gilt urns and husk garlands. Main staircase is c.1730 with 2 turned balusters per tread, open string and wide flat handrail. Backstairs also C18 with turned balusters. Vaulted cellars, part with wide flat ribs to central cylindrical piers, part extending under S. terrace. Remainder of interior part altered late C19, part damaged by fire 1976. (G. Tyack, The Freemans of Fawley, Records of Bucks Vol. 24 p.130-143).

Listing NGR: SU7652084214

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
46663
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Records of Buckinghamshire' in Records of Buckinghamshire, , Vol. 24, (), 130-143
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 4 Buckinghamshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].