This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

List entry Number: 1125779

Location

CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bradenham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Jun-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 46549

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRADENHAM BRADENHAM VILLAGE SU 89 NW

3/69 Church of St. Botolph

21.6.55

GV II*

Parish church. Nave originally c.1100, with C15-early C16 W. tower; N. chapel added 1542 by William, second Lord Windsor; chancel rebuilt 1863-5 by G.E. Street; C19 S. porch. Flint with stone dressings, the N. chapel rendered. W. tower is of 2 stages with diagonal buttresses, moulded parapet, paired lights with 4-centred heads to bell-chamber, and similar single light to S. side. W. side has 3-light Perpendicular window over moulded doorway with depressed arch and Tudor hoodmould. Canted stair projection on N. side. Nave has 2 bays of C14-C15 2-light traceried windows, very much restored. Romanesque S. doorway with inner and outer roll-mouldings, flanking half-columns, blind tympanum, and lintel with diaper and cable ornament. Chancel has traceried windows, one 2-light to S. and 3-light to E. N. chapel has W. door with moulded 4-centred arch, terracotta panel with stag's head, partly blocked entry to crypt, and windows with 4-centred heads, 2 2-light to N., 3-light to E. Interior has wide unmoulded arch to tower and C19 double-chamfered chancel arch. C19 piscina, sedilia and arches to N. chapel. 1742 altar, early C20 communion rails by Canon Vernon Staley, C20 screen and rood. Some C16-C17 heraldic glass in N. chapel, 1887 Jubilee window in tower. Other fittings C19 and C20. Black and white marble monument with caryatids in N. chapel, in memory of Charles West, 1684, attributed to William Kidwell. RCHM I.p.61-62. Records of Bucks XV p.34.

Listing NGR: SU8283497126

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Records of Buckinghamshire' in Records of Buckinghamshire, , Vol. 15, (1947-52), 32-45
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

National Grid Reference: SU 82834 97126

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125779 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 01:08:17.

End of official listing