LEVERINGTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1125948

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1952

Statutory Address: LEVERINGTON HALL, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LEVERINGTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125948 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 13:21:06.

Location

Statutory Address: LEVERINGTON HALL, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland (District Authority)

Parish: Leverington

National Grid Reference: TF 44563 11262

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 41 SW LEVERINGTON CHURCH ROAD 6/23 (East Side)

23.6.52 Leverington Hall

I

A particularly fine house, c.1630, of original hall and north crosswing plan with a crosswing added to the south end in the early C18. Red brick, English bond to rear wall, with tiled roofs to front and stone slates to rear. Rebuilt gable ends to crosswing fronts, originally shaped, with tumbled end parapets to rear. Modillion eaves cornice of wood, early C18, returned to crosswings. Hall range has side stack at rear with three detached shafts with linked capping and a similar ridge stack at the south end. Each crosswing also has a similar side stack. Two storeys and attics with band between storeys. Hall with three dormers with broken pediments. Range of five original, cross frame casements with leaded lights. Four similar windows at ground floor on either side of C19 gabled porch of brick. Each gable end of the crosswings has four similar casements and, in the attics, two smaller ones without mullions and transomes. Lead rainwater head dated 1716 with crest and initials T.S.E. (Thomas and Elizabeth Swaine). Early C18 forecourt walls of finely jointed red brick with piers with stone cornices and pineapple finials of stone. Interior. Original moulded main beam to the hall. The panelling is early C18 raised and fielded in two heights with moulded dado and cornice. Shouldered surround to fireplace overmantel. Hall divided in late C17 or early C18 and smaller room lined with bolection moulded and raised and fielded panelling. Part of the hall has paving of stone. North crosswing has one room with fine late C17 bolection moulded panelling and a late C18 fireplace surround. The main staircase is of four flights and two landings. Late C17 closed string with turned balusters, moulded rail and square newels. Dado also has bolection moulded and raised and fielded panelling. Bedroom in north crosswing with similar bolection moulded panelling. South crosswing ground floor room, formerly the kitchen, with large inglenook hearth and early C18 tiled floor, With black and white sets. The first floor room has reset c.1630 sunken panelling probably removed from a ground floor room when the crosswing was added. Bolection moulded fireplace surround, of marble. The back staircase is of four flights, closed string with turned balusters with square newels. The house was probably built for Robert Swaine (d.1705). Estate Map, 1782 (private collection). Country Life, 1948, January 16. Pevsner (Buildings of England), p.423. VCH (Cambs) Vol.IV, p.191.







Listing NGR: TF4456311262

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48096

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 423
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 191
'Country Life' in 16 January, (1948)

End of official listing