This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ARTS THEATRE WORKSHOP AND STORE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ARTS THEATRE WORKSHOP AND STORE

List entry Number: 1126148

Location

ARTS THEATRE WORKSHOP AND STORE, 36, NEWMARKET ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Cambridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Nov-1972

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 47635

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWMARKET ROAD 1. 942 (South Side) No 36 (Arts Theatre Workshop and Store) (Formerly listed as Former Festival Theatre)

TL 4558 NE 5/109A 26.4.50. II*

2. Former Theatre Royal. 1816. Built at Barnwell because of prohibition in the University town. The interior is a virtually complete example of a Georgian theatre with a three-tiered horsehoe auditorium with the galleries supported on cast iron columns. There is no sign of the original decoration to the fronts of the galleries, but a painting of the Royal Arms remains above the proscenium. The theatre was closed in the C19 and used as a Nonconformist chapel, but it was reopened and again closed in the years between the two wars. Altered c1926 for Terence Gray by Harold Ridge and Norman Marshall, with the removal of the proscenium arch and the introduction of a cyclorama and a revolving stage. This was one of the earliest uses of this type of modern stage technology pioneered by Gordon Craig in the 1920s (RCHM 277).

Listing NGR: TL4594558775

Selected Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of Cambridge, (1959)

National Grid Reference: TL 45945 58775

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126148 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 07:41:36.

End of official listing