Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1126475

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1959



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126475 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 06:06:24.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Isleham

National Grid Reference: TL 64372 74409


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 6474, 14/8

ISLEHAM, CHURCH STREET (North Side), Church of St. Andrew




Parish church of cruciform plan dedicated in 1331, replacing an earlier church on the site of which traces remain in the stone- work of the north east corner of the nave and in the C13 Y-tracery in the north chapel. Much of the internal appearance dates from C15 when the roofs of the nave and aisles and the clerestorey were built. The west tower was rebuilt in 1863 by G.E. Street replacing one that had collapsed and the walls were refaced in 1893. The church has a particularly fine clerestorey and roofs of 1495 and is noteworthy for its monuments and brasses to the Bernard and Peyton families. The church is built of flint and pebblestone with Barnack dressings, the interior wall material is clunch. Embattled three-stage west tower with pyramidal roof. The embattled nave has a C15 clerestory with, on each side, five windows of three cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery in four-centred head. The south aisle, south porch and south chapel are all of 1331, on a continuous splayed sill. The fenestration which was originally of clunch, has been restored. The interior of the porch is in two bays with a two bayed wall arcade of two central arches on attached columns. The inner archway to the south doorway is two-centred and has the hollow and roll mouldings of the C14. The door, however, is early C18 with raised and fielded panelling and original brass- work. The north wall of the chancel has an original window of clunch. Two trefoil lights with reticulated tracery in two- centred head. The north chapel has two windows, restored, with Y-tracery indicating an earlier church on the site. Above the north doorway are the marks of a gable possibly for a north porch.

INTERIOR: North and south arcades of 1331 and of clunch. Five bays with two-centred arches of two moulded orders on quatrefoil columns with subsidiary shafts to angles. The clerestorey and roof were constructed in 1495 for Crystofer Peyton, as was the embattled cornice with mask and foliate bosses and the blind tracery which fills the spandrels of the arches. The nave roof is in five bays, of Queen post construction with subsidiary posts. The tie beams, which are cambered and moulded and have a winged demi-angel, are supported on wall posts which are braced to the ties forming a four- centred arch. The intermediate bays have angels with emblems of the Passion and at the soffits smaller angels with shields. The north and south aisles and the north and south transepts all have roofs of c.1500. The chancel arch is similar to those of the nave arcade. The floor is early C18. The south wall of the chancel has a piscina of C14 with trefoil cusping to the head, and a sedilia restored in C19. The font is C13 and of clunch. Octagonal, with each side, the soffit and stem carved. Fine C16 lectern, found in fen in C19, of brass in form of eagle with outstretched wings as book rest, on a sphere with lions sejant at base. C15 desk in chancel with sloping bookrest, and poppy head finials to ends. Front with blind arcade of ogee arches with sub-cusped tracery. Stalls in original site in chancel, with misericords representing church and state. Pews. Some C15 pew ends in north aisle. The communion rail with its jewelled work finials and balusters is a fine example of early C17 work. Monuments. North transept: Barbara Themilthorpe, 1619, clunch painted, Corinthian columns with entablature framing figure of child. Roger Peachey, late C17, black marble in white stone frame. The church contains a number of fine monuments and brasses to members of the Bernard and Peyton families, including a C15 Easter Sepulchre. C13 and C14 wall tombs in the north and south chapels, early C15 chest tomb in the south chapel and late C16 and early C17 canopied tombs also in the south chapel.

RCHM: Record Card. Pevsner: Buildings of England, p.413. W.M. Palmer: Monumental Inscriptions and Coats of Arms from Cambridgeshire

Listing NGR: TL6437274409


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48819

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Palmer, W M , Monumental Inscriptions and Coats of Arms from Cambridgeshire
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 413

End of official listing