4, LYNN ROAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1126487

Date first listed: 12-Dec-1968

Statutory Address: 4, LYNN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of 4, LYNN ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126487 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 12:58:42.

Location

Statutory Address: 4, LYNN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Ely

National Grid Reference: TL 54059 80465

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

.. . - "..... . ...-- . -- -' [email protected]+ ROAD 1. 1. 1082 LYNN ROAD (East Side) No 4 TL 5480 1/31 23.9.50. II 2. A C17 Building, possibly incorporating an earlier structure, considerably altered in the C18 and later. It was used as a Jail from the end of the C17 when the Bishop's jail was transferred from Ely Porta in 1836 when the Bishop lost his jurisdiction. In 1768 Bishop Manson partly reconstructed the building. A prison report of 1804 reports on this prison:- "This goal not being secure is the reason why felons are so securely chained down. The irons used 18 or 19 pounds weight and one pair 43 pounds which in 1799 one John Gothard, a transport, had on for 3 days......" There is only one iron collar with spikes now left and the last time it was used was on James Thomson in the year 1798" The building is square on plan and is built partly of stone rubble and partly of red and yellow brick. 2 storeys. 2 window range on each front, the window are partly double-hung sashes with glazing bars and partly C20 casements. Some of the window openings retain the iron bars of the prison. The 1st storey rooms have the original heavy boarded, barred and double bolted prison doors with inspection windows. Roof tiled, double pitched and hipped. A small prisoners exercise yard remains on the east side.



Listing NGR: TL5405980465

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48753

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing