6, UNION PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1126607

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Statutory Address: 6, UNION PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 6, UNION PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126607 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 13:01:49.

Location

Statutory Address: 6, UNION PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland (District Authority)

Parish: Wisbech

National Grid Reference: TF 46161 09607

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WISBECH UNION PLACE TF 4609 6/260 No. 6 GV II

Terrace house built c.1800 (later than No. 4) occupying a corner position beside the Congregational chapel in Castle Square, one of six houses built as part of the planned circus of the Castle Estate by Joseph Medworth (c.1754, d.1827). Local brown brick; slate roof; side stack. Three storeys and basement with symmetrical three bays to Union Place. Painted stone cill band and rendered plinth. Two, second floor, sixteen-paned recessed hung sash windows in cambered, red gauged brick arches flanking central blind window with brick panel. Three similar but larger first floor and ground floor windows with twelve-paned hung sash window above entrance. Wooden doorcase with fluted pilasters and broken pediment, plain round-headed fanlight and five- panelled door. Interior has an original six-panelled door and sunk-panelled chimney piece. NMR (C. Godfrey, Wisbech photographic collection), 1982. Pevsner, Buildings in England, p.502. VCH Cambs, p.242. Colvin, p.386, 1950. Photographs and prints, C18 and C19, W. & F. Mus. Three Histories of Wisbech, 1827;1849 and 1897. G. Annis, History of Wisbech Castle, 1977.

Listing NGR: TF4616109607

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48467

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Annis, G, A History of Wisbech Castle, (1977)
Colvin, H M , A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840, (1954), 386
Gardiner, F J, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, (1898)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 502
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 242
Walker, N, Craddock, T , The History of Wisbech and the Fens, (1849)
Watson, W, An Historical Account of the Ancient Town and Port of Wisbech, (1827)

End of official listing