Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1126681

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983



Ordnance survey map of THE CONSERVATIVE CLUB
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126681 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 19:54:13.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland (District Authority)

Parish: Wisbech

National Grid Reference: TF4622409756


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



1113/6/57 No.29 (The Conservative Club) 31.10.1983


Former guildhall, used principally as a grammar school 1549-1898, now a political club. Hall range c1379, ceiled-in and probably refenestrated C18, roof structure mostly renewed during remodelling, 1808. West wing 1549 or 1585, refitted C19. Extended on north side 1651 or 1716. South porch probably C18. Alterations C19 and mid and late C20. C20 roughcast conceals main structural materials. Hall range may he stone. Porch, east gable and west gable stack, brick. Roofs C19 Welsh slate. Hall range, single storey, 3 bays. West wing, 2 storeys plus attics, single bay. Porch 2 storeys, single bay. L-plan. Hall range has 3 round headed windows with leaded glazing, with impost blocks and keystones. 3 similar windows on the north side are covered by a late C20 addition, and converted to doorways. East end has a crowstepped gable, probably C18. Dormers were installed in 1808, and removed probably early C20. West wing has a renewed 8/8 sash, with a late C20 glazing bar casement above. Attic has a gabled dormer, reglazed late C20. Northern extension has on the east side a wood mullioned window. Porch has coped gable with kneelers, ball finials, and central cross. Segment headed rebated doorway with double doors, and renewed 6/6 sash above. Interior: Cross passage has two C19 doors to west, and C18 round headed double door into hall to east. Segment headed doors in central partition and at north end. Hall has 5 late C14 carved corbels, and C18 ceiling with aerial and cross beams. West wall has close studding and braces, and incorporates a crenellated beam. This is believed to have supported a Gallery. Roof structure renewed 1808 except for the filled west truss. The attic room beyond this at the west end of the main range has a large stone fireplace, probably C17, and here the medieval roof survives. West rear wing has C16 moulded ceiling beams to the ground floor, and a roof of A-frame trusses and a single crown post roof truss. This building is of considerable architectural and historic interest incorporating significant parts of a late C14 secular building and subsequently becoming Wisbech's town hall and grammar school after the Dissolution until the C19, with alterations and additions reflecting these uses. Sources: K Morrison RCHM report, July 1995. M Devenish The Old Grammar School, in Wisbech Society Annual Report, 1994. FJ Gardiner History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood (etc), 1898 AW Poyser History of Wisbech Grammar School, 1909 AV Poyser The Old School (in) The Wisbechian, 1948 N Walker & T Craddock History of Wisbech and the Fens, 1849 TS Watson & T Craddock History of Wishech, 1833 W Watson An Historical Account of Wishech, 1827 HL White History of Wisbech Grammar School, 1935 (or 1939) VCH Cambridge & Isle of Ely, vols. ii & iv


4978 The Buildings of England, Cambridgeshire (Nikolaus Pevsner), 1970, Page(s) 498 4978 An Historical Account of the Ancient Town and Port of Wishech (W Watson), 1827, Page(s) 421 4979 Historv of Wisbech and Neighbourhood (FJ Gardiner), 1898, Page(s) 232-4

Listing NGR: TF4622409756


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48254

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Gardiner, F J, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, (1898), 232-4
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 498
Poyser, A W , History of Wisbech Grammar School, (1909)
Poyser, A V, The Wisbechian, (1948)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1989)
Watson, T S, Craddock, T, History of Wisbech, (1833)
Watson, W, An Historical Account of the Ancient Town and Port of Wisbech, (1827), 421
White, H L , History of Wisbech Grammar School, (1935)
Devenish, C, 'Wisbech Society Annual Report' in The Old Grammar School, (1994)

End of official listing