Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1127005

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Aug-1988



Ordnance survey map of MANSION FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127005 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 11:32:05.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Coveney

National Grid Reference: TL 48985 82256


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



14/5 No 41 (Mansion Farmhouse) (formerly 5.2.52 listed as Mansion Farmhouse


House. Late C16, with late C17 service addition to north end. Timber frame, plaster rendered, on brick plinth with south gable end rebuilt in C18 in red brick. Reed thatched roof hipped to south end and limestone ridge stack, having red brick above the ridge. Single range five bay and lobby entry plan. Two storeys with the first floor jettied on the front. Four first floor C19 twelve pane hung sashes, and a small casement to a closet opposite the stack, now concealed by plaster. Jetty joists are concealed by a fascia and only one bracket is visible at the north end. Two C19 sixteen pane ground floor hung sashes and a twelve pane hung sash on either side of original doorway and doorcase with hollow moulded architrave. Four centred arch in square head with carved foliate motif to the spandrels. Door is composed of three vertical planks with iron cover strips and frame with iron studding and original fleur-de-lys strap hinges. The south gable end has red brick of irregular bond but predominantly of three stretchers and two headers, on a plinth. An original ground floor blocked window opening has stilted segmental arch indicating an early-mid C18 date which is probably of similar period to the staircase. The service wing is at the north end. Late C17. Timber framed, plaster rendered on the front, brick painted rear wall, and red brick, English bond on plinth to end wall. Rebuilt gable end above eaves in gault brick when end stack added. Reed thatched roof with parapet gable on moulded brick kneelers. The moulded brick of the kneelers is late C17. One storey and attic. Two windows on the front. Strict Baptist chapel adjoining at the south west. C19 gault brick, now covered in asbestos. Two recessed hung sashes in the north wall. Interior fittings removed. In front and to the road is a chapel yard associated with the chapel. Two coffin tombs and a head and footstone, all C19. Interior: The principal trusses of the timber framing are exposed. Jowled heads similar to that of Manor Farmhouse (qv) with cambered tie beams and shallow bracing, some of which have been cut. The house has always been of two storeys but the ceilings at first floor are probably insertions. There is a middle rail in the wall frame on which is lodged the ends of the ceiling joists of the ground floor rooms. The framing is of substantial scantling. Original partition walls exist in whole or in part. In plan there is a central two bay hall entered from the lobby entry and a single bay parlour at the south end. At the north end there is an original partition wall between the hall and a further ground floor room which, though in the location for a service room, has moulded main beams and posts indicating family or guest use. Ground floor, north room, has leaf stop chamfered main beam carried on prick posts in the north end wall and the partition wall between this room and the two-bay hall. The capitals of the posts are carved with groove and scallop mouldings to the soffit. The hall has boxed intersecting main beams and original joists similar to those the parlour. The main beam is carried on prick posts in the east and west walls with similar enrichment of scallop carving and a roll moulding as in the adjoining room. In the middle rail in the east wall is a short tabled scarf joint. Above the inglenook, now blocked, there is a carved pad to support the axial main beam. An original doorway and plank door with fleur-de-lys iron strap hinges leads to the lobby entry. The parlour has an exposed inglenook hearth of limestone, which has had the rear wall and part of the side walls repaired. The surround, however, is original. There is a shallow ogee moulding on a high base with a jewel stop. The hearth lintel is of wood and the ogee moulding is carried round from the jambs. The ceiling is exposed and has a similar leaf stop chamfer to the main beam and similar but smaller moulding to the exposed ceiling joists which are laid flat. In the early C18 a staircase was inserted into the hall. The newels are square, fluted,and there is a toads back rail. The balusters alternate. One is formed of two symmetrical columns, and the other is of column-on-vase type with the column enriched. At first floor there are abutting fireplaces to the chamber above the hall and the parlour. They are of similar limestone but are now blocked. An original plank door with fleur-de-lys strap hinges leads to the closet above the lobby entry. The roof is of side purlin type. The service wing has a new roof. A leaded light casement is in the north gable end of the main range and is now internal. The manor was vested in the prior and convent of Ely but the long tenure of the Lisle family and their successors the Scrope family of Bolton, Yorks, suggests that it was regarded differently from other manors held of the prior and convent. The 5/- annual rent was not enforced from the tenant. It is thought that the Mansion House is the successor of the medieval manor house. In 1563 the tenancy of the manor was sold to Symeon Steward and held in that family until 1649 when it passed to Thomas Allen. In the C18 the house was owned by Robert Drake of Cambridge.

Pevsner: Buildings of England p326 VCH: Cambs Vol IV p136

Listing NGR: TL4898582256


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 49532

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 326
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 136

End of official listing