This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

EGERTON HOUSE INCLUDING, TO NORTH AND EAST, HOUSE STABLE YARD AND STAFF ACCOMMODATION AND GARDEN WALLS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: EGERTON HOUSE INCLUDING, TO NORTH AND EAST, HOUSE STABLE YARD AND STAFF ACCOMMODATION AND GARDEN WALLS

List entry Number: 1127099

Location

EGERTON HOUSE INCLUDING, TO NORTH AND EAST, HOUSE STABLE YARD AND STAFF ACCOMMODATION AND GARDEN WALLS, NEWMARKET ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stetchworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1984

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Sep-2003

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49240

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STETCHWORTH

TL66SW NEWMARKET ROAD 170/2/161 (North side) 09-SEP-03 EGERTON HOUSE including, to north and east, house stable yard and staff accommodation and garden walls

GV II Small country house, built in 1891 for Lord Ellesmere. Painted red brick with applied timber frame decoration to attic floors. Red plain tile roof with patterned ridge tiles. Three tall pilastered red brick stacks. Two storeys and attics. Three-gabled asymmetric facade with boarded and coved eaves and barge boards. Ionic fluted pilasters to recessed main entrance with eliptical arch and key block approached by steps. Half glazed double doors and side lights. Five mullioned and transomed casement windows at each floor level including large two storey staircase window. Two hipped dormer windows. Moulded band between floors and plinth. INTERIOR. Staircase hall with fine original dog leg staircase with balustrade with turned pine balusters. Here and elsewhere fine stone and marble French style fireplaces probably brought in later. In the north east Billiard Room is a fine late C19 coloured marble fireplace and elaborate late C20 trompe l'oeil mural decoration with architectural framework, equestrian paintings and bookcases. Attached to the north and east of the house are high brick garden walls which form an enclosed walled garden to the north and also link to the house's own coach house and stabling block to the north west and another brick walled garden to north. This stable block is U-plan, in similar style to the house, and is of red brick with timber-framed frieze and tops to gables. Plain tile roof with moulded stacks. To left garage accommodation with sliding doors, former stabling to centre under pentice roof and domestic accommodation to right with 3-light oriel window in the end gable and bays to ground floor on the outer wall facing the principal stable quadrangle (qv). Dormers over. The house was designed with the stables and stud farm as part of a planned racehorse training establishment and was leased in 1892 to Richard Marsh, trainer to the Prince of Wales from the beginning of 1893 and later to George V and George VI. Plans and designs for the house and stable block, unsigned, Egerton Stud Estate Office. Onslow, R., Headquarters: A History of Newmarket and its Racing, 1983, p.195-9. Thompson, L., Newmarket from James I to the Present Day, 2000, pp.240-1, 251, 291-2. VCH Vol.VI, p.174. Racing Illustrated, No. 5, 1895.



Listing NGR: TL6072561210

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Onslow, R , Headquarters: A History of Newmarket and its Racing, (1983)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 174
Thompson, L , Newmarket from James I to the Present Day, (2000), 240-1,251
'Racing Illustrated' in Racing Illustrated, , Vol. 5, (1895)

National Grid Reference: TL 60730 61212

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127099 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 06:47:43.

End of official listing