THE HOMESTEAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1127233

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Statutory Address: THE HOMESTEAD, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE HOMESTEAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127233 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 03:15:54.

Location

Statutory Address: THE HOMESTEAD, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Fen Drayton

National Grid Reference: TL 33959 68366

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3268-3368 FEN DRAYTON HIGH STREET (East Side)

13/67 The Homestead 31.8.62

GV II*

House. Early C16 and c.1730. Dark red brick, rubbed brick and limestone dressings. Plain tile roofs. Two storeys with attics and basements; rear wing part of original timber framed building on site. Five symmetrical 'bays'. Main entrance approached by semi circular stone steps; eight-panelled door shaped to segmental arch with dentil enriched pedimented wooden doorcase. Five first floor and two ground floor original twelve-paned hung sash windows shaped to segmental rubbed brick arches with stone key blocks and sills; two windows to right hand of door with similar details are C20 replacements of C19 inserted three-light hung sash windows. Plinth, and brick band between floors. Shaped gable parapets with limestone copings and stone dressings to end stacks. Two blind basement windows. Interior. Original hall and parlour plan with complete rooms of raised and fielded pine panelling, doors and doorcases. Some original chimney pieces and flanking cupboards, very fine open string staircase rising to attic floors. Moulded ceiling cornices with dentil enrichment. The house is said to have been built for a corn merchant. R.C.H.M. (Cambs notes), 1950 Pevsner. Buildings of England p.385

Listing NGR: TL3395668359

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 50976

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 385
Other
Cambridgeshire Notes and Photographs, (1950)

End of official listing