PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1127385

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, GREEN END, CB25 9FD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127385 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 22:23:40.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, GREEN END, CB25 9FD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Landbeach

National Grid Reference: TL 47658 65358

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/03/2017

TL 47658 65358, 11/97

LANDBEACH, GREEN END, Parish Church of All Saints

(Formerly listed as located on: HIGH STREET (East Side))

31.8.62

GV

I

Parish Church. C13 chancel extended mid C14 and west tower rebuilt, spire late C14, nave arcades and aisle C14. Clerestorey added and aisles widened with south porch mid C15. Nave roof, C15 with reused C14 tie beams, restored in mansard form possibly by John Tinkler, Rector in C19. South aisle window replaced in restoration of 1878 and vestry built on site of former Lady Chapel demolished in C18 by Robert Masters. North aisle and nave roof restored by Rattee and Kett in 1983. Flint and rubble walls plastered, with limestone and clunch dressings. Roofs of lead and plain tiles. South elevation; Tower of three stages with moulded plinth band and embattled parapet with corner gargoyles and four stage angle buttresses. Two-light, Y-tracery belfry window. Spire with spire lights alternating on each face. Embattled parapet to nave clerestorey with four windows of trefoiled-lights in two-centred arches. South-aisle windows partly restored of three cinquefoil-lights in two-centred arches. Chancel and nave with gable parapets. One two-light chancel window in four-centred arch and C19 two-quatrefoil-light window. South porch with stone date 1613 has two-centred arched doorway and two reset gargoyles.

INTERIOR. Nave arcades of four bays with octagonal clunch piers with moulded caps and bases, and two-centred arches of two-chamfered orders. Nave roof of four bays with carved angel hammer beams alternating with earlier C14 tie beams, moulded principal timbers with carved bosses at intersections and cornice and soffit of tie beams enriched with fleurons and other details. Aisle roofs of four bays with pierced decoration to braced wall posts supported on carved angel corbels. North aisle, originally extended as a chapel, rebuilt as C19 vestry and partly converted to organ chamber. Chancel arch two-centred with two-chamfered orders, semi-octagonal piers with moulded caps and bases. Chancel screen of three bays, ogee heads, restored, removed from tower arch by Robert Masters. C19 scissor-braced roof. Tower arch two-centred with two continuous orders to moulded plinth. Wall painting in nave, modern font on medieval base. Piscenae and stoup in south aisle, Easter Sepulchre altered as monument in north aisle. C15 glass fragments in windows, some pieces identified as Lady Margaret, foundress of St Johns and Christs Colleges, and her parents John and Margaret Beaufort. Chancel stalls with misericords , restored C15 pews, pulpit removed from Jesus College in 1778 with carved panels of smiths tools. Lectern possible C17, Dutch, wooden angel on pedestal. C13 tomb canopy in nave, two boards of commandments. Monuments include fine brass indents, tomb to Wm Master d. 1798.

C.A.S. Vol. 4 1876-1880, Walker, B.; Wm. Cole, Sketch of Church 1745; Clay, W. K., History of Landbeach, 1861; Pevsner: Buildings of England, p. 421

Listing NGR: TL4765865358

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 50652

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Clay, WK , History of Landbeach, (1861)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 421
'Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society' in Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society, , Vol. 4, (1880)

End of official listing