PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1127404
Date first listed:
31-Aug-1962
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127404 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jul-2019 at 10:25:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Histon
National Grid Reference:
TL 43613 63987

Details

HISTON CHURCH STREET TL 4263-4363 (South Side) 14/38 Parish Church of 31.8.62 St Andrew GV I Parish church. C13 cruciform plan, tower rebuilt C14 and south porch. Restoration 1874-5, chancel by Sir G.G. Scott, nave and aisles 1857 by F.W. Bodley in neo Early English style. Walls of limestone ashlar and Barnack limestone with rendered limestone rubble, interior walls of clunch. Plain tile and lead roofs. South elevation: Nave clerestorey with four circular foiled windows. Plain parapet to aisle with two, three-light windows with vertical tracery. South porch, two-centred arched opening of two chamfered orders. Transept with angle buttresses of two stages chamfered and stopped and one short centre buttress; just visible the jambs of original lancet windows blocked and replaced by large C15 three-light window. Chancel has one single and two double-lancet windows. Tower of two upper stages with plain parapet and angle buttresses; belfry window of two trefoiled lights with quatrefoil and weathering of earlier roofs. Interior. Chancel restored with barrel roof, east window with stepped lancets, chancel and tower arches C13 two-centred with semi-octagonal responds and chevron black and white painted decoration of chamfers. Transept roofs restored of two bays. In both transepts very fine C13 arcades of two-centred arches deeply moulded, supported on shafts with bell capitals and bases, some moulding interlacing, labels with mask stops. Matching also, double piscenae with interlacing moulded arches. Windows replaced in C15 except for east window of south transept with original lancets. Nave of two bays with octagonal piers and responds with moulded caps and bases. Aisles with restored C15 roofs of six bays with octagonal piers and responds with moulded caps and bases. Aisles with restored C15 roofs of six bays. South door medieval, font with panels of quatrefoils C14, lecturn carved angel with eagle book rest C19. Glass by Mayer of Munich and by Clayton and Bell 1872. Transepts possibly by same mason designer as St John's Hospital Cambridge. Wm Cole visited the church in 1745 and noted a wooden east chancel wall. Some material from nearby St Etheldreda church (demolished) is said to have been reused during the restoration. Nave roof, original C15 low pitch, removed to No. 10 Church Street after restoration. The timbers are deeply moulded and stopped. Hill, A.G. Arch Notes of Camb Churches (details of restoration) 1880 Cambridge Camden Society, Churches of Cambs and Isle of Ely p. 68 Pevsner, Buildings of England p. 408

Listing NGR: TL4361363987

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
50590
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Churches of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely68
Hill, A G , Architectural Notes of Churches of Cambridgeshire, (1880)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 408

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/11164/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tony Wilding. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].