THORNEY ABBEY AND ABBEY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1127481
Date first listed:
22-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Feb-1982
Statutory Address:
THORNEY ABBEY AND ABBEY HOUSE, ABBEY PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THORNEY ABBEY AND ABBEY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127481.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 07:26:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
THORNEY ABBEY AND ABBEY HOUSE, ABBEY PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Peterborough (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Thorney
National Grid Reference:
TF 28191 04180

Details

1. 5141 THORNEY ABBEY PLACE (west side) Thorney Abbey and Abbey House (formerly listed as Thorney Abbey under Whittlesey Road, The Green TF 2804 41/567 22.10.52 I GV 2. Late C16 house (Abbey House) to east and 1660 west wing (Thorney Abbey) with connecting range. The west wing was built in 1660 and designed by Peter Mills (architect of Thorpe Hall) with John Lovin as the builder, or perhaps designed by Lovin himself. It is a fine house of the period. Square on plan. Stone, rendered with masonry joint lining, stone quoins, string course and plinth. Coved eaves cornice, and steeply pitched hipped roof of Collyweston stones. Two storeys and attic. South side, 5 bays. Ovolo moulded stone mullion/transom 2-light windows with moulded architraves, some with leaded panes. Central doorway with stone panelled pilasters and pediment on corbels, glazed door and rectangular fanlight. Hipped dormers. North and west elevations similar but 3 bays. Large central rusticated chimney stack with panelled sides and cornice. Terrace balustrading to west front with panelled piers and wide flight of steps at centre. Interior of west wing: panelled dining room with pilastered chimney piece with eared panel with volutes, doorcases in similar style. Other rooms with similar chimney pieces and doorcases. Staircase with ornamented balusters and square newels with panelled sides containing garlands, and with finials, moulded string with Victorian scroll frieze. The 2 storey late C16 east wing is the original house and has 2 gables to south, one with 2 storeyed splayed bay, stone mullion windows with cornices, stone rubble with Collyweston stone roof with coped gables. The east side facing road is 5 bays, sashes with glazing bars, right hand moulded stone doorcase with dentilled flat hood on shaped brackets. The link range has possibly re-used Norman arch and round piers from the monastery. Country Life 27 September 1919.

Listing NGR: TF2819104180

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
50359
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 27 September, (1919)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/05685/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr R. Keith Drewery. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].