This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1127592



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kingston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52157

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


In the entry for 11/105 KINGSTON CHURCH LANE Church of All Saints and St Andrew

II* The grade shall be amended to read KINGSTON CHURCH LANE Church of All Saints and St Andrew

I ------------------------------------ TL 3455 KINGSTON CHURCH LANE

11/105 Church of All 22.11.67 Saints and St Andrew GV II*

Parish church. The church was substantially rebuilt in 1488 following a fire and the materials of C13 church reset or incorporated, particularly in the chancel. C13 chancel, C15 nave and north and south aisle, C13 west tower restored. Restored 1894 - and 1930. Fieldstone andclunch rubble with limestone and clunch dressings. Tiled roofs. West tower, nave and north and south aisles, south porch and chancel. West tower C13 rebuilt in 1488. Three stages, embattled parapet and chamfered plinth, central beast gargoyles to main cornice. West window, of three cinquefoil lights in two centred arch, flanked by two niches, the one on the south having a vaulted canopy, but both restored. Restored belfry openings. Half octagonal newel stairturret on north side. Nave. 1488. Rendered walls and tiled roof with gable of earlier roof visible internally in east wall of tower. Clerestorey of four restored windows each of two cinquefoil lights. South aisle and south porch are also restored. The south door is medieval and of nail studded planks. The chancel, C13, has rendered walls. In the North wall is a blocked lancet window and a doorway now blocked to a vestry or chantry. In the South wall there is a C13 window of three lights with Y tracery, restored, and a low side window of two trefoil lights. The chamfered two centred arch in the South wall is also C13. In C16 the East window was removed and replaced by one of four lights each in segmental arch with square head. The North aisle retains some C15 fenestration, except for the window at the east end which is modern. Interior: North and South nave of clunch. Four bays, two centred arches of two wave moulded orders , the outer continuous, the inner on attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Nave and aisle roofs are late medieval, though that over the south aisle incorporates later work. The chancel arch is also 1488. The chancel is C13 with some features of late periods. The rear arch of the original C13 east window is visible internally. The three light window in the south wall may be reset. There is a-recess with foiled head in the splay of,the rear arch. Another small recess at the east end of the north wall is C14. The chamfered rear arch of another window in the south wall is C13. There are benched recesses in both north and south walls, and the arches of those on the south side have been partly displaced by later fenestration. Font: octagonal bowl, C13, with C14 octagonal stem having attached shafts, with moulded capitals rising to crocketed gables. Wall monument in south wall of chancel. Dr. Fogge Newton. Provost of Kings and Rector of Newton, 1612. Clunch. Tablet with inscription flanked by Corinthian columns supporting entablature and strapwork overpiece. Paintin s: much of the interior wall surface except in the tower retains painting of the C13-C16 or early C17, some restored by E.W. Tristram in 1928. Screen: late 015, restored. In three bays with closed lower panels and vertical tracery in upper, open panels.

R.C.H.M.: West Cambs. Mon. (1) V.C.H. Cambs. Vol. V Pevsner: Buildings of England p.417

Listing NGR: TL3461355430

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 417
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1973)
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

National Grid Reference: TL 34613 55430


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127592 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 04:15:50.

End of official listing