This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ABINGTON LODGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ABINGTON LODGE

List entry Number: 1127710

Location

65 AND 67, HIGH STREET
ABINGTON LODGE, 63, HIGH STREET, CB21 6AB

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Abington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 51843

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5248, 11/1

GREAT ABINGTON, HIGH STREET (East Side), No. 63 (Abington Lodge) and Nos. 65 and 67

G.V.

II

House and two flats. c.1660 built for Thos. Cobb, rebuilt by Capt. Roger Sizer (d.1724), enlarged c.1730 by Col. Vachell, and altered by John Mortlock, the banker, c.1815, enlarged and altered possibly by E. J. Mortlock (d. 1902) in mid C19. Timber-framed and plastered, painted red brick with low-pitched, hipped, slated roofs. Rebuilt ridge stack and two rear stacks. Two storeys and cellars. Early C18 square plan with service wing to north-east incorporates the hall and wing of the C17 house. Early C19 alterations include the refenestration of the west facade, blocking of the central doorway and resiting the main entrance to the north in a single storey closed porch with an oval planned lobby, (this entrance was blocked c.1960 and the west entrance restored). Mid C19 drawing room and conservatory added to east facade and service wing doubled, the whole building reroofed and unified by deep boarded modillioned eaves. Conservatory demolished c.1960. West facade: Symmetrical five 'bays' with mid C20 restored pedimented doorcase and six-panelled door approached by stone steps. Four ground-floor early C19 twelve-paned hung sash windows recessed in slightly enlarged openings with wooden lintels below gauged-brick arches, five smaller first-floor windows. North facade: with C19 entrance blocked with inserted window below wide fanlight with glazing bars. Two late C17 (and one in service wing) twelve-paned hung sash windows with ovolo-moulded glazing bars in segmental arches, C18 panelled pargetting.

INTERIOR: C17 details include some two-panelled doors, boxed ceiling beams, large C17 hearth to north-east room with mantel beam; early C18 panelling and moulded cornices to north-east room and two first floor rooms; some six-panelled late C18 doors; early C19 open string staircase with finely fluted balusters, south-west room with recess and pair of Ionic columns, cornice and ceiling lightly decorated with guilloche patterns, six-panelled doors and shutters to garden door and windows; mid C19 panelled doors, skirting boards and ceiling cornices, round arched openings to marble chimney pieces. The house was rented to Lord Grosvenor from 1775 to 1780 as a shooting box, the north-west room was used as the gun room. The grounds are said to have been laid out by Humphry Repton.

R.C.H.M. Report 1951 V.C.H. Vol. VI, p6 Sale bill, Cambridge Chronicle 5 September 1795

Listing NGR: TL5344648912

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 6
'Cambridge Chronicle' in Cambridge Chronicle - 5 September Sale Bill, (1795)
Other
Reports on Buildings in the Parishes of Babraham Great Abington Hildersham Linton Little Abington and Pampisford Cambridgeshire, (1951)

National Grid Reference: TL5344648912

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127710 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 05:20:41.

End of official listing