THE ALMSHOUSES THE SCHOOL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1127746

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: THE ALMSHOUSES, 1-4, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: THE SCHOOL HOUSE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ALMSHOUSES
THE SCHOOL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127746 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 04:54:58.

Location

Statutory Address: THE ALMSHOUSES, 1-4, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: THE SCHOOL HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Babraham

National Grid Reference: TL 51297 50419

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5050 BABRAHAM HIGH STREET (North-West Side)

8/47 The School House and 22.11.67 Nos. 1,2,3, and 4, The Almshouses

II*

Three dwellings, formerly a school and six almshouses. 1732, inscribed stone plaque 'THIS SCHOOL AND HOSPITAL WERE ERECTED AND ENDOW'D BY THE MUNIFICENCE OF MRS JUDITH BENNET DAUGHTER OF Sr LEVINUS BENNET BARc AND AUGMENTED BY LIBERALITY OF JAMES BUSH ESQre AND LEVINUS BUSH ESQre HIS SON ANNO Dmi ; 1732'. The school buildings were in use till 1959. The almshouses were converted to four dwellings in 1959-60. Walls of red brick coursed in header bond with gauged brick dressings and plain tiled roofs. Symmetrical plan, two storey pedimented central block with single storey wings. Each wing originally with three one-roomed houses now converted to two. Main entrance facade: central block with side stacks, moulded wooden eaves cornice and enrichment to pediment; gauged brick band between floors and gauged brick window arches. Wooden doorcase with shallow hood supported on shaped brackets, four-flush-panelled door with stone plaque above. Two ground floor and three first floor C20 casement windows in original openings. Wings with end stacks, parapet gables, and ridge stacks. Original entrances altered to two with half-glazed doors and rectangular fanlights in each wing, and with one original casement window with small panes and two C20 casement windows.

R.C.H.M. Report 1951 V.C.H., Vol. VI, p29 Pevsner. Buildings of England, p294

Listing NGR: TL5129750419

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 51833

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 294
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 29
Other
Reports on Buildings in the Parishes of Babraham Great Abington Hildersham Linton Little Abington and Pampisford Cambridgeshire, (1951)

End of official listing