Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1128057

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967



© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128057 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 01:19:49.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Ickleton

National Grid Reference: TL 49474 43858


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 4843 ICKLETON CHURCH STREET (West Side) 21/243 Parish Church of St Mary Magdalen 22.11.67 GV I Parish church. Late C11 nave and arcades, clerestorey, north aisle and lower part of tower. Late C13 or early C14 inserted arches to north and south of central tower and transepts. Tower heightened c.1340. South aisle widened and rebuilt with south transept. C14 south porch and upper clerestorey with new nave roof. Spire added to tower. South porch, rebuilt with vaulted roof late C14. Chancel rebuilt mid C15, north chapel and vestry added. C18 rebuilding; chancel rebuilt retaining C15 details in 1882-5. Restorations of 1908-9 of nave roof, 1935, and steeple repaired 1948. A fire in the south transept in 1979 destroyed the roof but cleaning revealed Cl2 wall paintings in the nave. Walls of field stones and rubble with Barnack limestone dressings. Plain tiled roofs and lead covered aisle roofs and spire. Some reused Roman bricks and flue tile, monolithic columns to nave arcade possibly from earlier church. South elevation: Chancel with steep gabled roof; two windows with vertical tracery and priest's doorway. Central tower of three stages with octagonal broached spire with one of two original sanctus bells; now chiming hours of clock. Middle stage with weathered courses of former transept roofs. Timber-framed and plastered semi octagonal belfry stair with plain tiled roof; belfry with deep continuous splayed string below window of two trefoiled-ogee-lights with two-centred head; carved head cockets below eaves cornice. South transept or chapel with low-pitched gable roof and C14 window of four cinquefoil-ogee-lights in two-centred arch. Nave clerestorey with four round leaded lights. South aisle with two three-light and one two-light C14 windows with cinquefoil lights in two-centred arches. C14 south doorway with two-centre arch and two wave-moulded orders, west window of two cinquefoil-lights in two-centred arch. South porch Cl4 vaulted in late C14 with carved bosses at apices of hollow-chamfered ridges. Interior: Nave arcades of four bays with semi circular responds with cushion capitals and moulded bases with spurs at their angles. The first and third piers are monoliths. Tower arches; to east and west C13 two-centred, of three chamfered orders springing from C11 responds each with two attached semi circular shafts with cushion capitals and ovolo-moulded bases. Arch of south aisle and transept C14, stilted two-centred with moulded responds caps and bases. Roofs; restored C14 scissor-braced tussed-rafter nave roof with later tie beams; south aisle restored lean-to roof of five bays with moulded tie beams, short king posts and moulded purlin; south transept roof replaced after fire c.1980. Piscina in chancel C15 with moulded jambs, and cinquefoiled head. Niche C14 in south transept with moulded jambs and cinquefoiled head and moulded label with finial and carved head stops. Font, possibly C14, octagonal bowl with hollow-chamfered soffit, octagonal stem and chamfered base. Tomb recess in south aisle C14. Screen, C15 of three bays. Pews, restored poppy head bench ends. Monuments: In nave, to Mary wife of John Hanchett 1796, Henry Hanchett 1795; south aisle to John Hanchett 1644 white marble tablet with urn and drapery above a shield; in chancel to Mary wife of John Hanchett 1773 tablet with semi circular head and moulded cornice shaped apron and shield of arms, to Zachary Brooke, D.D., 1788 and Susanna his wife 1812 white marble plaque. Floor slabs, to Zachary Brooke, 1788 (once vicar and Lady Margaret Professor of Divinity), to Sarah wife of Thos Hanchett 1716, to Sarah (Elleott) wife of Thos. Hanchett 1729, and Thos. Hanchett, 1744, to Thos. Crud 1714, Anne Hanchett 1720, John Hanchett 1737, Mary wife of John Hanchett 1721, Thos. Hanchett 1717 and Mary wife of John Hanchett 1773 to Sara Cass 1737, Anne wife of John Hanchett 1733 and to Henry Hanchett 1794. Royal Arms on painted canvas with moulded wooden frame in north aisle. Wall paintings mid C12 true frescoes, arranged in two tiers above with arcade, four passion scenes and three martyrdoms of St Peter, St Andrew and St Laurence; C14 Doom painting over chancel arch with Christ and the Virgin. Glass; C14 in south aisle windows and other fragments. Medieval tiles reset in chancel. Tower clock dated 1855. RCHM Report 1948 V.C.H., Vol. VI, Ickleton Bristowe, R L Ickleton 1985 Pevsner: Buildings of England

Listing NGR: TL4947443858


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 53036

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Bristowe, R L, Ickleton, (1985)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978)

End of official listing