RED LION HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1128090

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: RED LION HOTEL, WHITTLESFORD BRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RED LION HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128090 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 02:47:10.

Location

Statutory Address: RED LION HOTEL, WHITTLESFORD BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Duxford

National Grid Reference: TL 48470 47274

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4847 DUXFORD WHITTLESFORD BRIDGE 12/82 Red Lion Hotel 22.11.67 GV II Inn now a hotel. Early C16 with later C16, C17 and C18 alterations rebuilt and altered in mid to late C19. Timber-framed with plaster infill and rendered, painted brick, front elevation cased in knapped flint with gault brick quoins and dressings; plain tile roofs. Three rectangular planned ridge stacks, two side stacks and one stack with grouped shafts. Two storeys forming an irregular U-plan with changing roof heights indicating separate ranges. West elevation: Two ranges each of three timber-framed bays with close studding at first floor and braces from posts to studs with some renewal. Six first floor flush-framed sixteen-paned hung sash windows and three hung sash bay windows with narrow side lights. North elevation: Main entrance to right of centre half-glazed two-panelled door with gabled canopy and deep patterned bargebaords supported on shaped brackets. Two windows in segmental brick arches and three bay windows with four or five transomed casements. Five first floor casement windows. Interior: Carved ceiling beams and joists with folded leaf decoration, late C15 relaid; roofs not seen. The inn was said in 1622 to be very commodious for royal servants and other travellers, the inn keeper hired out pasture to drovers bringing cattle from East Anglia. V.C.H., Vol. VI, p202 Pevsner. Buildings of England, p334

Listing NGR: TL4847047274

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52912

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 334
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 202

End of official listing