PARISH CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1128142
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1967
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN, BARLEY ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128142.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-May-2021 at 13:56:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN, BARLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Great and Little Chishill
National Grid Reference:
TL 42216 38868

Details

TL4238 GT & LT CHISHILL BARLEY ROAD (North side) 24/10 Parish Church of St.Swithun 22.11.67 GV II* Parish church. C13 nave and chancel wall. South nave arcade c.1275. Chancel rebuilt c.1330, south aisle late C14 and clerestorey windows. North nave arcade and clerestorey, north aisle, south porch and west; tower C15. The tower collapsed in 1892 and was rebuilt 1897 when nave and aisles were restored by F.E.Penrose. Early C20 vestry and organ chamber. Walls of flint rubble with limestone and clunch dressings, lead and slated roofs. South elevation: Tower, nave, aisle and porch with embattled parapets. Tower of three stages with moulded plinth continuous around diagonal buttresses of three stages. Chamfered string courses. One lancet light and one two-light belfry window recessed in two-centred labelled arch. Four clerestorey two-light trefoiled windows with flat arches, three aisle windows, two cinquefoiled lights with mouchettes in spandrels of flat arches. Two storey porch with floor removed. Archway of two-centred, two-chamfered orders with semi octagonal responds with moulded caps and bases. Two-light chamfered-mullioned window above. Chancel with steeply pitched slated roof with diayonal buttress of two stages. Two restored two-light trefoiled windows in two-centred labelled arches. and four-centred arched priest's doorway. Interior: Nave arcades of four bays with two-centred arches, south arcade with arches of two hollow-chamfered orders on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases, north arcade with two moulded orders, the outer continuous and the inner on piers with semi octagonal shafts with moulded caps and bases. Tower arch of three-chamfered orders with responds with moulded capitals and bases. Chancel arch two-centred with light continuous outer chamfered order and inner chamfered order springing from defaced carved corbels; north of the arch a deep two-centred arched recess with an opening and four-centred arch. Organ chamber opening in north wall, vestry with resited window c.1330. Nave roof C15 of four bays with tie beams supported on wall-posts and curved braces with traceried spandrels, king-posts and queen-posts to ridge and side purlins. North and south aisle roofs with chamfered principal rafters and purlin; foliate stops in south aisle. South porch C15 roof with rafters laid flat. Carved lamp bracket above south door. Piscenae in south aisle and north aisle. Font, late C14 octagonal bowl witn quatrefoil panels and moulded soffit, plain octagonal to square stem. Glass C15 fragments in north and south aisles. Inscriptions on tower arch from C15. Brass of a shield in floor of tower, and four indents of figures with inscription plates. Monuments: In chancel, to Hon.John Cooke d.1701 'High Sheriffe of This County of Essex by especial appointment of King William'. . . White marble inscription panel with scrolls, winged skull with cartouche oil arms above; floor slab in sanctuary to Hon John Cooke d.1701, and Jane Cooke d.1681; in tower, to George Brownest 1650; to Samuel Harris, citizen and brewer of London d.1681. Organ, painted deal case with applied Rococo ornament early C18. RCHM report 1949 Pevsner. Buildings of England p.395

Listing NGR: TL4221638868

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
52839
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 395

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/11159/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Warwick. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].