13 AND 15, CHURCH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1128175

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: 13 AND 15, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 13 AND 15, CHURCH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128175 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 05:43:06.

Location

Statutory Address: 13 AND 15, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Gamlingay

National Grid Reference: TL 23782 52354

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GAMLINGAY CHURCH STREET TL 2352 (North side) 11/45 Nos 13 and 15 22.11.67

GV II

House, now two dwellings. Mid-late C16, and small C19 outshut at rear. Timber framed plaster rendered and plain tiled roof. The red brick ridge stack inserted C17 has clasping corner pilaster shafts with capitals and base with recesses between. Single range probably extended further along the street, but part replaced during C19. Two storeys. Jettied first floor partly underbuilt. The bressumer in three original lengths, with double bolection and hollow moulding: The joists are cogged into the bressumer. Three first floor windows, C19 including a horizontal sliding sash and a nine pane hung sash. Two ground floor horizontal sliding sashes and a fixed light window with single central glazing bar possibly for a shop, adjacent to the doorway to No 15. Interior: has main beam with ogee and roll moulding and inglenook hearths. At intersection of mainbeams is a boss in form of a fruit and flowers and a shield charged with a cross of St George. Cambered tie beams and jowled post heads. Wind braced side purlin roof. This may be the Guildhall which is referred to in documents prior to its dissolution c.1530.

C Brown: Mss Notes RCHM: West Cambs mon (27) C Hewett: Development of Carpentry (p147)

Listing NGR: TL2378252354

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52709

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hewett, C A, The Development of Carpentry 1200-1700 An Essex Study, (1969), 147
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

End of official listing