This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ALMHOUSES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ALMHOUSES

List entry Number: 1128179

Location

ALMHOUSES, 42-60, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Gamlingay

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Sep-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52721

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GAMLINGAY CHURCH STREET TL 2352 (South side) 11/57 No 42-60 (evens) Almshouses 22.11.67 (formerly listed as Jacobs Almshouses)

GV II*

Terrace of ten almshouses. 1665. Red brick, Flemish bond. Tiled roof, end parapets on kneelers and deep overhang at eaves with moulded wood cornice. Five symmetrically disposed and shared red brick ridge stacks. Plan of one room at ground floor with a kitchen at the rear forming one side of a small enclosed yard. Two storeys with plat band between the storeys returned round the gable ends and to the rear wall. The centre has a tablet with a shield of arms above flanked by two upright oval windows with moulded brick architraves. The tablet is inscribed VIVAT obi NATUS JOHANNES JACOB Miles Barotus ANo DONi 1665. At first floor, alternation of one three-light and one single light casement, with repaired leading but some original glass. The single light casements which light the staircases, have elliptical arches with raised impost and keyblocks. At ground floor each cottage has a doorway under gauged brick arch and a two panelled door with a fanlight divided by a mullion, and a three-light cross-frame leaded light casement under a similar flat arch. At the rear each cottage has a segmental arch to an enlarged opening. The enclosed yards are bounded by single storey kitchen, now with modern tiles and wood cladding, but retaining red brick in the end wall which is continued as the back yard wall to the almshouses. On the front is a brickwall which is 1665 in origin. Red brick, part repaired. Inside, each cottage has an exposed stop chamfered main beam and a newel staircase. The almshouses were built with an endowment from Sir John Jacob.

RCHM: West Cambs mon (21) Pevsner: Buildings of England p391 VCH: Cambs Vol V

Listing NGR: TL2391252318

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 391
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1973)
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

National Grid Reference: TL 23912 52318

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128179 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 09:08:57.

End of official listing