RECTORY FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1128193

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: RECTORY FARMHOUSE, 32, MELDRETH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of RECTORY FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128193 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 01:22:36.

Location

Statutory Address: RECTORY FARMHOUSE, 32, MELDRETH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Whaddon

National Grid Reference: TL 35222 46547

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3446 WHADDON MELDRETH ROAD (West Side)

9/247 No. 32 22.11.67 (Rectory Farmhouse)

GV II*

Farmhouse. Early C14; with late C15 or early C16 additions; further alterations and additions c.1633, and late C18 and C19. Timber-framed and roughcast rendered; plain tiled and slated roofs. Two symmetrical red brick ridge stacks each with four diagonal shafts. Two storeys with sunken dairy and single storey additions to west. Original aisled open hall c.1340 of two bays with cross-wings added to east and west projecting on north elevation with a jettied two storey gabled porch to main entrance. Late C18 and C19 infilling between the wings. Early C17 alterations include two inserted stacks with staircases and hall floor. North Elevation: Central porch flanked to left hand by two storey parapetted infill and to right hand by an outshut extended across the gable of the west cross-wing with a reduced side stack. Three first floor and one ground floor three-light casement windows, one ground floor twenty-paned hung sash window with one similar sixteen-paned first floor window; small Gothic window beside porch. Interior: Exposed floor frames, clunch fireplaces with four-centred arches and moulded jambs, one dated '1633 RW HI' in first floor room; staircases to south of each stack, to west with flat balusters to east with turned balusters and with newel post and finial. Inserted C17 partitions with 3-plank doors with moulded recessed central panel arid cross pieces, some original hinges. Smoke blackened rafters to one bay of hall roof; octagonal crown post with cap chamfered from octagonal to square and with straight braces to collar purlin and collars. Cambered tiebeam with deep arched braces and with soffit mouldings concealed by partition. Normal assembly to north, but with arcade plate 'clasped' to south with evidence for bracing of an aisle. Splayed scarf with under-squinted and sallied abutments. The rectory house was recorded in 1359, St George's Chapel Windsor was granted the advowson in 1351 and possibly also claimed the rectory. The farmhouse is situated within a moated site.

V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.146 R.C.H.M. Report 1949

Listing NGR: TL3522246547

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52656

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1982), 146

End of official listing