MORDEN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1128236

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: MORDEN HALL, 31, TRAP ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MORDEN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128236 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 22:29:54.

Location

Statutory Address: MORDEN HALL, 31, TRAP ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Guilden Morden

National Grid Reference: TL 28468 43953

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 2843 GUILDEN MORDEN TRAP ROAD (North-east side) 18/196 No 31 (Morden Hall) 22.11.67 II*

Farmhouse, formerly a manor house. Medieval origins with late C15 or early C16 alterations and additions, late C17 or early C18 addition and C19 and C20 alterations. The building is noted for its late C15 or early C16 roof. Clunch ground storey, timber framed and roughcast rendered, and painted brick. Plain tiled roofs. Late C17 or later red brick rear side stack with gault brick capping, gault brick side stack to central gable of west elevation and side stack to right hand gable with offsets and upper courses rebuilt. Two storeys and attics. C15, L-shaped plan with clunch ground storey abuts to the north the remaining part of an earlier timber framed open hall, possibly originally aisled. Early C16 remodelling of west front with late C17 or early C18 kitchen added in angle to south-west. West elevation: Main north-south ranges with lower roof to south; three west facing gables, southern gable asymmetric, two northern gables jettied and flanking main entrance to cross passage. Panelled entrance door with studded, moulded rails and muntins; rectangular fanlight with latticed leaded lights. The fascias to the jetties are both moulded, the norther jetty has a carved ribband ornament. The projecting two storey oratory or guarderobe to the east elevation has similar carving to the barge boards and roll-moulded rafter ends. In the south elevation is a two cinque-foiled-light window with a later doorway insertion, originally unglazed the window is rebated for shutters. Interior: The exposed timber-frame shows clearly the different building periods. Smoke blackened rafters possibly reset from a C14 crown post roof to the north is over laid by a later C15 or early C16 loft; two southern bays of this roof have an elaborate display truss with cross braces halved into each other, and two collars, the lower collar braced to the principal rafters and the upper collar with braced queen struts; the roof is ceiled below the collars and has a roll-moulded cornice. At ground floor the substantial floor frame has deeply chamfered floor joists with housed soffit tenons. The central ground floor west room has moulded wall plates; the eastern rooms have plain chamfered ceiling beams. The entry from the cross passage to the rear passage has a wooden door head with a four-centred hollow-chamfered arch. The door to the first floor oratory has moulded planks and is shaped to a four-centred hollow-chamfered arch with carved spandrels in a moulded frame. The chimney pieces and open hearths are altered; one small C19 first floor chimney piece; C19 staircases and other details. The original manor house was destroyed during the peasant uprising of 1381, it is probable that the hall was rebuilt shortly after and extended in the C15 by the Haseldens. Thomas Hayes refurbished the house in c.1620, it was used as a farmhouse from the C18.

RCHM reports 1950, 1977 VCH Vol VIII p100

Listing NGR: TL2846843953

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52555

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1982), 100

End of official listing