PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1128297

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128297 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 12:26:57.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Abington Pigotts

National Grid Reference: TL 30439 44663

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3044 ABINGTON PIGOTTS CHURCH LANE (North-west side) 14/2 Parish Church of 22.11.67 St Michael & All Angels GV II*

Parish church. Fragments of C12 carved stone and roof line of C12 nave. C14 nave with north and south doorways and south porch. Early C14 chancel. Late C14 nave windows. C15 tower and nave roof. South porch repaired 1582. Nave roof slated 1865 and doom painting lost from exposure. Chancel rebuilt 1975, vestry added to north of nave 1884. Tower repaired 1896, and 1924. Chancel restored and roof replaced c.1930, architect C.W.Oldrid Scott. Walls of flint rubble with clunch and limestone dressings north wall of nave cement rendered. Tiled and slated roofs. South elevatation: West tower of three stages with defaced moulded plinth and embattled parapet. Belfry window of two trefoiled lights with quatrefoil. Steep pyramidal roof surmounted by weather-vane dated 1923. Nave with embattled parapet, has three late C15 or early C16 windows each of two tall cinquefoiled lights in four-centred heads with moulded labels. South doorway with two-centred arch of two chamfered orders and original door. South porch with dated stone 1582 has a two-centred archway of two orders, responds with attached shafts, moulded caps and bases and moulded label with defaced head stops; gable wall with ball pendant and cusped barge boards. Chancel with parapet gable; two early C14 windows reset and restored of two trefoiled lights with foiled heads in two-centred arches with labels and head stops. Priest's doorway two-centred and chamfered. Interior: Tower arch, two-centred of three chamfered orders with inner order carried on moulded responds, with capitals and bases. Nave roof restored, of three bays with three original tie beams cambered and hollow chamfered, supported on wall posts with curved braces and traceried spandrels; wall posts supported on carved stone corbels of angels and blank shields. Chancel arch, early C14, of two-centred two-chamfered orders with semi-octagonal responds, mutilated caps and bases. Modern font copied from original now in Royston Church; early C17 font cover, octagonal ogee with acorn finial. Piscina C13 on south wall of nave, shouldered head with plain chamfered reveal and multi-foiled bowl. Screen, restored C15. In north-east angle of nave the upper doorway to the former rood-loft, lower doorway hidden by pulpit. Pulpit, reading desk and clerks desk C17, using old panelling and fragments of the rood screen with three carved panels possibly Flemish in origin, candle brackets on reading desk. Doors C14, to north doorway with vertical V-grooved boards and five rails, to south doorway with vertical fielded boards with moulded fillet and with rear frame of horizontal and diagonal rails. Seating C15. Glass fragments in nave windows C15. Brasses and indent in chancel; floor slab of purbeck marble with indent for figure and inscription, purbeck marble slab with figure of man in long ermine trimmed coat with separate brasses of 8 sons and 8 daughters possibly identified to the Peeche family (W Cole), purbeck marble slab with indents for two figures; in nave two slabs with indents. Monuments: Set as a dado in east wall of chancel four C17 panels to John Piggot Esq d.1613, to Elizabeth Lynn wife of Henry Lynn d.1665, to Henry Lynn d.1662 and John Piggott d.1617. In chancel: Two limestone slabs with Latin inscriptions to Richard d.18-2 and his wife Maria d.1773, and to Maria and William Piggott d.1627. Wall monument in white and black marble to George Granado Graham Foster Pigott d.1878, Cuthbert Graham Foster Pigott d.1849 and Lt Col Robert Graham Foster Pigott d.1901. White marble panel with portrait bust in high relief of William Foster Pigott d.1827 by Peter Roun sculptor Portland Road Lond. Wall monument in grey and white marbles with obelisk, weeping willow and portrait medallion to Mary wife of William Foster Pigott 1816 by 'Bacon ft LONDON'. Limestone slab in nave to Stowell Cay relict of Henry Bould Cay esq and of Granado Pigott esq d.1824. Coffin lids in south porch C12. Hatchments, three in chancel and one in nave.

RCHM report 1950 Pevsner Buildings of England p291 VCH Vol VIII pll W Cole MS CRO Ireland, M DeC History of Abington Pigotts with Litlington

Listing NGR: TL3043944663

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52405

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ireland, M , History of Abington Pigotts with Litlington
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 291
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1982), 11

End of official listing