Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128649.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-May-2021 at 11:46:41.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Huntingdonshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 22739 71477


Huntingdon BRAMPTON ROAD 1. ------------- 5140 TL 27 SW 5/4 10.1.51. Hinchingbrooke House I GV

2. In origin an Augustinian nunnery suppressed in 1538 and between then and 1627 largely rebuilt and extended by the Cromwells. There was a serious fire in 1830 and the house was restored/rebuilt by Blore; it was further restored in 1894 and again in the 1960's. During the most recent restoration the entrance to the chapter house was discovered, but otherwise little of the medieval fabric is visible. The buildings are irregular, and of 2 and 3 storeys. They are of stone and ancient brick, the Blore rebuilding being in stone, and with a large wing in brick with stone dressings of 1894. The buildings are castellated throughout and have many tall chimneys of the Tudor type. The kitchen wing to the north has timber framed gables. The most noteable external feature is the semi-circular bow window of the library, dated 1602 on the parapet. This originally had an open loggia on the ground floor, and was moved and reconstructed in its present form by Blore in 1830. There are other canted bays which also appear to be of Blore's rebuilding. The interior of the main rooms was entirely rebuilt by Blore, mostly in a Jacobean character. Some older fittings remain, the main staircase panelling by Vennard circa 1663, and the library chimney piece dated 1580 are especially noteworthy, There is also the very fine staircase from Rolls Park installed in the 1960's restoration by Marshall Sisson, this is sumptuously carved, and dates from the late C17. (RCHM.10).

Listing NGR: TL2273971477


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/02353/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr JM Webber. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].