PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1128753

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1961

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128753 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 13:53:24.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Yate

National Grid Reference: ST 71370 82815

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YATE

ST 78 SW

7/219

CHURCH ROAD (west side)

Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin

3.3.61

G.V.

I

Parish Church (Anglican). C12; remodelled C13 and altered late C14/C15; restored 1859 (interior), 1879 (chancel) by R. Nevill and 1896-97 (the stair turret and the parapet of the tower) by W.D. Caroe; C20 additions to the north side. West tower; north aisle; nave and south porch; north and south transepts; chancel and north and south (Lady) Chapel. Random and coursed sandstone rubble with freestone (oolitic limestone) dressings; stone slate roofs.

West tower: Perpendicular style of three stages and diagonal buttresses; pierced and embattled parapet (1897) with corner and central crocketted pinnacles, the central ones rise from the head of an ogee cusped canopied niche between the blind two-light mullioned and transomed windows of the 2nd stage; similar windows to 3rd stage but the upper parts have pierced quatrefoils; four-light windows to first stage glazed to the west blank elsewhere. West door is C19 with moulded surround, square dripmould and carved stone; polygonal stair turret at north-east corner (1879).

North aisle: two three-light square headed Perpendicular style windows with cusped traceried heads and mouchettes, under drip moulds.

North transept: window similar to west window.

Chancel: windows as north aisle; east window of four-lights with cusped tracery heads; priest's door with moulded surround and four-centred head.

South transept: four-light window as east window; heavily restored C12 window in west wall.

South porch: roll moulded, round headed door surround with two Perpendicular image niches above; south door is C15 in heavily moulded surround; C19 two bay arch-braced collar-beam roof.

Interior. Four bay north arcade; the east bay occupies the space of a central tower, the collapse of which seems to have necessitated the rebuilding of the two eastern bays which have Perpendicular piers of wave mouldings between engaged columns with circular capitals; the west respond of the 2nd bay rests on a C13 pier and the two westernmost bays of the arcade are C13 with keel moulded piers and coarsely cut floriate capitals. Two bay chancel with piers similar to the two western bays of the arcade; chancel arch and arches to transepts are Perpendicular in style.

Font: C15, octagonal with quatrefoils around the bowl.

Wall painting: to west of north door a fragment of St. Christopher and a water mill. Reassembled fragments of mediaeval glass in north chapel. Remains of rood stair in north west corner of north chapel. The remainder of the fittings are modern and extremely plain.

Monuments: south chapel, brass to Alexander Staples, died 1590, with two wives and eleven children; north chapel, Richard Hill, died 1755, marble tablet with entablature, flat pyramid background with drapery swag and urn finial; south transept Thomas Stokes, died 1786, by Reeves of Bath, square marble tablet with entablature and draped urn. Ogee headed piscina in north chapel; four-centre headed piscina in chancel.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 22 October 2018.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 34843

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

End of official listing