This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MANOR FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANOR FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1128870

Location

MANOR FARMHOUSE, HOLLYWOOD LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: South Gloucestershire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Almondsbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Dec-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 35129

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 58 SE ALMONDSBURY HOLLYWOOD LANE (west side) Compton Greenfield 11/35 21.10.52 Manor Farmhouse

- II

Farmhouse, now house. Early C17 with C18 additions. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone and sandstone dressings, pantiled roofs with 3 rows of stone slates at eaves, limestone coped verges with finials, brick stack to west gable, double Roman tiled rear wing. L-plan. Through passage, symmetrical south front. 3 storeys and 3 windows, 4-light casements at ground and ist floor, 3-light at 2nd floor, all ovolo mullions with sandstone relieving arch and timber lintel, decreasing in size with each storey, central 2-storey porch has 3-light casement at 1st floor front and 2-light to sides, door in chamfered frame with ovolo- moulded over-lintel. East side has cellar door with strap hinges and timber lintel, blocked windows at ground and 1st floor and 3-light ovolo-mullioned window at 2nd floor under timber lintel, C18 single storey dairy and wash-house wing has 3-light window to east and west, door in wooden frame to west and buttress at gable end. Rear has large external stack to main block, rear block has separate pitched roof with parapet at each end, irregular 2 and 3-light casements all with ovolo mullions, panelled and studded door to left in moulded wooden frame. Interior: moulded and stopped beams, ovolo moulded door frames, wide dog-leg stair, studded doors, west room on 2nd floor has remains of plaster over-mantel with fleur-de-lys design. Passage panelling said to have been sold to pay family debts and lost in S.S. Titanic. (Sources: Hall, Linda : Rural Houses of North Avon and South Gloucestershire 1400-1720. 1983).

Listing NGR: ST5703781537

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hall, L, 'City of Bristol Museum and Art Gallery Monograph Number 6' in The Rural Houses of North Avon and South Gloucestershire 1400-1720, (1983)

National Grid Reference: ST 57037 81537

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128870 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 03:57:08.

End of official listing