Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128929.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 09:53:31.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 60071 87286



8/176 Church of St. Mary 30.3.60 G.V. II*

Parish church. Late Norman tower, dated 1606 at time of rebuilding; C14, enlarged and repaired 1841 (dated on porch) restored 1888-9. Rubble with stone dressings slate roofs with weathered raised coped verges and kneelers, leaded roof to tower. Nave, north and south aisles, south porch, central tower, north and south transeptal chapels, chancel. Decorated style aisles. West front of nave has 3-light window with hood mould, lancet above with stone bell louvres and hood mould, cross finial, door to south with 4-centred arched-head and hood mould with angel stops; west front of each aisle has similar window and lancet above, weathered angle buttresses. 4-bay aisles have to north four 3-light windows with flat hood moulds and ogee-headed, cusped tracery, similar windows to south with trefoil heads, 2-storey porch in 3rd bay from left has pointed arched opening in chamfered surround, hood mould with mask stops, dated inscription 1841, small unglazed window above with iron lattice, gargoyles at eaves. South transeptal chapel has window as on south aisle and door with Tudor arched head and moulded surround to south, 3-light window with pointed arch and hood mould to east; north transeptal chapel has vestry with pitched roof and similar east window. 3-stage tower has north east stair turret with pointed arched door, slit windows and battlements; 2nd stage has 2-light windows with round heads, chamfered surrounds and relieving arch, clock to east, 3rd stage has windows with bell louvres, 2-light to north and south, single light to east and west; plain strings, quoins, embattled parapet, large pinnacles and central weathervane. 2-bay chancel has 2 windows to south as on south aisle, central blocked priest's door, 2 similar windows to north, 4-light Perpendicular style east window with hood mould, quatrefoil above and cross finial. Interior: C20 door to porch, nave has 5-bay arcades, octagonal piers with moulded capitals and pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders, parvise door in south aisle with depressed 4-centred arched head; tower supported on Transitional Normanarches springing from piers with scalloped capitals and keel-moulded jamb shafts, arch to south is later and springs from the floor with deeply hollowed mouldings, high pointed arch with moulded surround between aisles and chapels. South transeptal chapel has Perpendicular style tomb recess with ogee crocketed arch and pinnacles, pointed arched door with battlemounted top to east; north transeptal chapel has vestry door in chamfered surround, Perpendicular style niche for statue set in east wall. Tower crossing has ceiling divided into 9 panels with heavy beams supported by corbels, nave, aisles, chapels and chancel have coved ceilings. Chancel has stone panel at east end divided into squares with non-repeating pattern of flowers, plain continuation to north and south incorporating piscina to south, wood panelling with shields and arms to north and south, from Bristol Cathedral. Fittings: C19 font, pulpit and pews. One Jacobean sanctuary chair in chancel and one in tower crossing, Jacobean carved chest in south transeptal chapel. Brass chandelier in nave of 3 tiers surmounted by bird, from Bristol Cathedral. Brass monument in south transeptal chapel of 2 kneeling figures wearing tabards, to Morys Denys and his son, 1496. Monument in recess in north aisle to Ralph Green, vicar 1590-1639. C16, C17 and C18 ledger stones in tower crossing and north aisle. Many C18 and C19 marble monuments including in north transeptal chapel to Rice Charleton with tracery and angel corbels, 1788; monument in north aisle with mourning female, to Samuel Peach and other members of the family, 1785 by W. Paty; monument in north aisle to Clarissa Peach, 1836 by Daw of Berkeley; monument in north aisle with Latin inscription to John Camplin, 1799 by Drewett; monument in south aisle with urn to Edward Bailey, 1748 by Drewett. One hatchment in north aisle, 3 at west end of nave. External monument on wall of south aisle, with skull, to Richard Seagar, 1663. East window by A. Gibbs, south window 1893 by Kempe, north window, 1846 by Willement. (Sources: Verey, D. : Buildings of England, Gloucestershire : The Vale and The Forest of Dean. 1970).

Listing NGR: ST6007187286


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04013/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Cyril N. Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].