This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

List entry Number: 1128960

Location

CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: South Gloucestershire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Rockhampton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 35352

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 69 SE ROCKHAMPTON

5/249 Church of St. Oswald 30.3.60 G.V. II*

Parish church. C14 tower and porch; nave and chancel rebuilt 1860-1 by Kempson of Hereford. Coursed limestone and sandstone rubble with limestone dressings, slate roofs with raised coped verges with kneelers and cross finials. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel. Decorated and Perpendicular style. 3-stage tower has 2-light Decorated west window in splayed reveal with hood mould, trefoil-headed lancet to north and south at 2nd stage, 3rd stage has 2-light Decorated window to all 4 sides with stone bell-louvres and hood moulds linked by a string course which continues round the top set-offs if the diagonal weathered buttresses; north east stair turret has angled top and finial, limestone quoins forming chequer-work with sandstone walling; former roof line of nave visible on east side, Perpendicular parapet pierced with tracery, pinnacles missing, angels as rainwater spouts to north and south 3-bay nave has 3 Perpendicular 2-light windows to north, hood moulds with unfinished stops, wall battered below weathered string, quoins, porch in central bay to south has slightly pointed arched opening with moulded surround, raised coped verges and sundial on block at top of gable, south wall weathered at each side. Chancel has 3-light Perpendicular east window, 2 cinquefoil-headed single lights to south, all in same surround as nave windows, plinth and weathered string. Interior: C15 south door with Perpendicular panelling, now cut in half to make double door, in moulded surround and hood mould. West window has plain stone surround and relieving arch, tower was vaulted but only springings survive, tower arch of 3 chamfered orders which die off into the responds. Nave has brattished wall-plate, wagon roof with moulded purlins and ridge purlin, all windows in splayed reveals with chamfered and stopped jambs and segmental heads, south door has chamfered, Tudor-arched head. Chancel has high pointed arch in moulded surround with hood mould with foliate stops; wagon roof of 5 bays divided into 30 painted panels by ribs, moulded with rosette bosses in 2 bays to east, brattished wall-plate; windows in same surround as nave, east window also has hood mould with foliate stops, north wall has pointed arched door in chamfered surround, now blocked on outside and cinquefoil headed piscina, south window cill has sedilia made from C14 tomb chest with ogee shaped canopies, crocketed finials and blank shields, remains of wall painting on lower part of east wall, moulded string under cill of windows. Fittings: Perpendicular octagonal bowl font with quatrefoils in panels in nave; Jacobean chest in nave; royal arms on south wall of nave; marble monument in chancel to William Davies, 1848, nephew of Edward Jenner, the discoverer of vaccination; chancel floor made up of early C17 to early C18 ledger stones, including one to William Quintin, parson, 1632-40; early Cl7 ledger stone in west nave by font. (Sources: Verey, D. : Buildings of England, Gloucestershire : The Vale and The Forest of Dean. 1970).

Listing NGR: ST6549593294

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

National Grid Reference: ST 65495 93294

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128960 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 07:14:11.

End of official listing