Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129095.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 01:16:26.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 46007 66065


CLEEVE C.P. MAIN ROAD (north west side) ST 46 NE 6/21 Church of Holy Trinity G.V. II*

Parish church. 1840 by Manners of Bath. Random rubble, limestone dressings, slate roofs with raised coped verges and kneelers, pyramidal roof to tower. Nave, north and south transepts, crossing tower and chancel. Neo-Norman style. 3-bay nave has 3 recessed bays to south and north, each with round-headed single light, cill string and continuous hood mould across recesses, plinth and corbels to recesses; round-headed west door, shafts with scalloped capitals to sides, double doors with raised fillets and decorative ironwork, string course from imposts, plinth, 2-light window above set in recess with similar jamb-shafts, corbelled cill string and upper string, Lombard frieze to gable end. North and south transepts, each single bay, have 2-light window in gable end, cill and upper string, lancet above, plinth and corbels returned to sides. 2-stage tower has large 2-light window at upper stage all sides, with jamb shafts and central shaft, double round-moulded heads to lights and triple-moulded head overall, scalloped bell-louvres in upper sections, plain below with pierced crosses, cill string and string course from relieving arches, tower has shafts at corners and limestone quoins, corbelled cornice and weathervane. Single bay chancel has 2-light east window set in recess with plain mullion and surround, single light to each side, cill string and continuous hood mould, lancet above, corbels and cross finial; lean-to to north has east light with cill string and door; porch for priest's door to south has door, string course and east light; attached to north C20 single storey addition for church room. Interior: nave has rib-vaulted plaster ceiling in 3 bays with bosses at junctions, ribs rising from demi-shafts with varied carved capitals and corbels; quadruple shafts to sides support roll-moulded arch to tower crossing, similar vaulting throughout, tower vault meets at central circle with 3 cherubs' heads, chancel ceiling in 3 bays. 5 clustered shafts north and south support chancel arch, with 2 central chevronned capitals forming triple arch, central opening taller, under main chancel arch; doors to north and south of chancel with jamb-shafts, reredos with corbels and diamond frieze. Fittings: octagonal stone pulpit in nave with wooden rails in form of Norman columns with Lombard frieze; font in nave, square with scalloped bowl and cable-moulded edge. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4600766065


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02766/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mike Bedingfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].