Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129139 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 11:04:39.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 44380 74209


WESTON-IN-GORDANO C.P. HIGH STREET (south side) ST 47 SW 3/135 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul 11.10.61 G.V. I Parish church. Tower and porch c.1300, otherwise C15, chapel mentioned in a will of 1536, C19 restorations of various dates. Tower and chapel in rubble with limestone dressings, rest in squared limestone freestone with limestone dressings, plain tiled roofs, slate pyramidal roof to tower, slate roof to porch and chapel with raised coped verges. Nave, south porch, south tower, chancel and south chapel. Early English style tower and porch, rest Perpendicular. 4-bay nave has 3 pointed arched 2-light windows, Perpendicular, to north, 2nd bay from west has round-headed door with step and hollow mouldings and hood mould, heavy studded door with wide strap hinges, wooden corbelled eaves; 3-light similar west window with hood mould, cross finial; to south, similar 2-light window and single trefoil-headed light to right of porch with flat hood mould; plinth and stone bellcote with cusped openings. Gabled porch has pointed arched opening of 2 chamfered orders with hood mould, trefoil-headed lancet over, line of former roof to sides on nave wall and external wall of stair to right; small single storey addition between porch and tower. 4-stage tower has 2-light pointed arched south window with Y-tracery and hood mould, pointed arched lancet at 3rd stage all sides, and 2-light pointed arched bell-openings at 4th stage with wooden louvres and hood mould; string courses, corbelled at 4th stage, parapet and coping, cross finial. 2-bay chancel has 5-light Perpendicular east window with pointed arch, cusped heads restored and hood mould, quatrefoil in gable and cross finial; 3-light south window with flat head and hood mould partially obscured by chapel, 2 similar 3-light north windows with continuous hood mould of Cl9 restoration. One-bay chapel has 3-light window similar to chapel to east and south, without hood mould to south because under eaves, pointed arched blocked lancet above east window, south priest's door with pointed arch, moulded surround with 2 hollow chamfers, hood mould with mask stops. Interior: nave has common, rafter roof with arched-braces, collars and brattished wall-plate, mostly C19 with some re-used timbers, particularly moulded collar purlin with 6 bosses forming 5 bays and moulding attached to arched-braces dividing bays, principal arched-braces and collar purlin painted; convex-moulded rere-arches to all windows, segmental-headed arch to north door (blocked), plain stone pulpit set in south wall with 3 steps and pointed segmental-headed opening, pointed stepped chamfered arch to tower, inner arch replaced in C20 stone, piscina to west of arch and upper rood door above piscina with projecting stone at cill, image stand with foliate underside to north of chancel arch, wide pointed chancel arch has wave mouldings and hollow chamfer; image niche with trefoil head beside south door to porch, rere-arch as to north door, pointed arched doorway has mouldings as on chancel arch, hood mould, heavy studded door with wide strap hinges. Porch has C19 common rafter roof with collars and brattished wall-plate, stone benches to sides, ogee-headed chamfered doorway to stone stair to parvise, wooden gallery across top of inner door with brattished top and panelled underside in 16 panels; Perpendicular image niche above door with painting, deep reveal to lancet in outer gable, possible holy water stoup recess to right, now blocked, inner architrave of outer door of 2 chamfered orders. Tower has ceiling with 4 chamfered beams, probably re-used, with mortices, 5 steps up to door to rood loft with segmental head, 4-centred arched chamfered opening to south chapel with mortices, possible for draw - bar to former door, set in larger pointed arched opening, probably altered when south chapel added. Chancel considerably restored in C19 has cambered moulded rere- arches to north and south windows, continuing the moulding on jamb shafts, cill string north, south and east, east window has similar mouldings around pointed arch, heavy limestone cornice; pointed arched piscina, mostly C19 restoration to south, pointed arch to chapel has wave and hollow mouldings and jamb shafts, polygonal bases to shafts. Chapel has C19 common rafter and collar roof, 2 image stands on east wall with foliate underside to left, 2 plain aumbries in south wall, segmental-headed south priest's door with 2 narrow convex mouldings, similar jamb shafts to south window. Fittings: Norman font in nave, a square bowl with scalloped sides on circular stem. Wooden pulpit in nave with 3 sides of C17 carved panels. Plain pews with lozenge-shaped poppy-heads; fine choir stalls in chancel with 8 misericords showing a peacock, foliage and human heads. C19 wooden Perpendicular style screen across chancel arch. In north wall of nave, fine Perpendicular tomb to Rychards Percyvale, 1483, with ogee crocketed hood, crocketed pinnacles, brattished top and cusped panels along front, recess above with 3 angels in haut-relief, shield of arms above canopy and grate with wrought iron railings and spear tops; marble tablet in chapel, to Henry Pyne, 1825, by Post of Bristol. C15 fragments of stained glass in east and south windows of chapel showing figures of angels, some with musical instruments. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4437874211


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03624/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Evans. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].