This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

YATTON STATION BUILDINGS AND FOOTBRIDGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: YATTON STATION BUILDINGS AND FOOTBRIDGE

List entry Number: 1129160

Location

YATTON STATION BUILDINGS AND FOOTBRIDGE, STATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Yatton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Jan-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33851

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YATTON C.P. STATION ROAD (south east side) ST 46 NW 5/188 Yatton Station Buildings and Footbridge - II 2 station buildings, north of line Booking Office and Waiting Room, south of line associated offices, footbridge linking the buildings across the line. 1841, footbridge c.1870 with some later alterations. By I.K. Brunel who was engineer to Bristol and Exeter Company. Coursed rubble with limestone dressings, north building has hipped slate roof with stacks to sides, asbestos roof to south; cast iron Tudor Gothic style. Single storey south building has 1/2-glazed door with panelled lower part and 4-pane sash to right in one chamfered stone surround, two 4-centred arched doors, one to left to former waiting room, panelled and glazed door to left and 4-panelled door to right, 4-pane sash to right of left door, all doors have broach stops to surrounds, 2 single lights to right in chamfered surround; limestone plinth and quoins, 2 courses of ashlar under eaves; canopy over platform supported on cast iron pierced arched-braces, canopy extended further 3 bays to left, supported on 2 cast iron piers. Left return has 4-pane sash; right return has chamfered door opening. Rear has 2 paired single lights to left, 4-pane sash to right, single storey wooden addition with 4-pane sash to left side and rear, blocked window to right. Single storey north building has 3 similar 4-centred arched door openings, Ladies Room with 1/2-glazed and panelled door, Waiting Room has door with raised fillets and inset glass panel, Booking Office has door with raised fillets; 2nd bay from left has mullion and transom window, chamfered, in chamfered limestone surround, 2 bays broken forward to right with Waiting Room door and bay in limestone ashlar with 6-light similar mullion and transom window; VR post box set in wall to right of Booking Office door, wall extended at tower level to far right and curved round concealing WC entrance; very deep eaves canopy supported on similar cast brackets. Left return has small 4-pane light; rear has single light and door with 4-centred arch, raised fillets, both chamfered surrounds, to left; wall stepped forward to right with similar 6-light mullion and transom window and similar 4-centred arched door with raised fillets and inset glass panel, end bay to right set forward with 2-light casement in chamfered surround. Interior: panelled walls in Waiting Room, fireplace on rear wall blocked, round-arched opening in moulded surround (blocked) to Ticket Office, cornice; panelling in Ticket Office. Footbridge to east has flight of C20 steps to each side, bridge supported on 4 fine cast iron columns with raised ornament to base and top, leaf capitals, cast iron bridge of 4 bays, span about 15 metres, supports for canopy over footway, canopy missing. Yatton Station was opened 14th June 1841 as Clevedon Road on Bristol and Exeter Railway, renamed Yatton on 28th July 1847 at opening of branch to Clevedon; on 3rd August 1869 also became junction for new line to Cheddar and Wells. (Sources: Oakley, M. : Railways in Avon 1983).

Listing NGR: ST4251166084

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Oakley, M, Railways in Avon, (1983)

National Grid Reference: ST 42511 66084

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129160 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 05:56:10.

End of official listing