CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1129189

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1961

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, THE BATCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129189 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 16:56:12.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, THE BATCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Butcombe

National Grid Reference: ST 51538 61873

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 56 SW BUTCOMBE C.P. THE BATCH (west side)

6/60 Church of St. Michael and All Angels 9.2.61 G.V. II*

Anglican parish church. C15 with 1868 restoration and additions comprising south porch and north vestry. Squared and coursed rubble to main body, squared and coursed dressed stone to tower and south aisle parapet, flush rusticated dressed stone quoins, stone copings and C20 plain tile roofs. Nave, chancel, south tower, south transeptal chapel, south porch, north transept, north vestry. All windows are 2 and 3 Perpendicular lights with cusped tracery under pointed heads with hoodmoulds. Chancel has Tudor arched blocked south doorway. South tower of 3 stages with set-back buttresses, moulded string courses, polygonal north west corner stair turret and embattled parapet with corner gargoyles. South face has a 2-cusped-light window to 1st stage and above, 2 stages of 2-light bell openings with cusped heads, quatrefoils and simple louvres. At the 2nd stage the buttressing develops into crocketted pinnacled shafts which flank 2 aedicules with crocketted and fleur de lys decorated canopies. C19 south doorway with above, a C15 niche in which is set a 1931 statue of St. George. I.C.B.S. plaque on porch west wall recording 1868 restoration. C19 plank door. Interior. Wagon roof to nave. Complex moulded chancel arch with further arches either side to small 2 bay transept on the north and tower and transeptal chapel on the south. Arch between tower and chapel has dying imposts. Wagon roof to chancel, compartmented roof to chapel restored 1923. Perpendicular statue niche in south chapel east wall. Fittings. Nave at south door has octagonal Perpendicular font with quatrefoil panels and Perpendicular style rood screen and pulpit installed in 1916 and 1919 respectively. Several C18. and C19 wall monuments under tower. Fragments of medieval stained glass in south chapel east window, late C19 stained glass in nave and chancel windows. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5153861873

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33928

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

End of official listing