- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- THE PARSONAGE, OLD HILL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129217.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 00:24:40.
- Statutory Address:
- THE PARSONAGE, OLD HILL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 52976 64293
ST 56 SW WINFORD OLD HILL
6/125 The Parsonage
GV 13.10.52 II*
Rectory, now house. c1700 (rainwater head to W elevation dated 1716). Random rubble to rear service wing with dressed stone quoins, stone copings, gabled pantile roof and 1980s stone end stack. Front block with coursed rubble, ashlar facade and dressings, hipped early C19 slate roof and stone stacks. Double-depth plan with vestibule to large rear stair hall; rear right service wing makes L plan. 2 storeys and attic; symmetrical 5-window east front in classical (Provincial Baroque) style. Central bay is slightly advanced and defined by rusticated pilasters. Similar pilasters to each end. Moulded first- floor string course and cornice beneath parapet. Central doorway with bolection-moulded surround and very fine shell hood on richly-carved brackets. Original 8-panel door with 2 glazed lights and rectangular fanlight. Panelled parapet with moulded coping. 3 dormers; 2 gabled, one segmental-headed with 2-light small-pane C20 casements. All windows are 12-pane early C19 six/six-pane sashes. Similar windows to 2-window left (E) return, with similar parapet cornice, also to 3- window right (W) return with thick glazing bars to C20 9/9-pane first- floor sashes above lean-to with keyed arch to doorway and 3-light cyma-moulded mullioned and transomed cross windows with turnbuckle to opening casement. Rear elevation has similar 2-light cross windows and C20 horned 6/6-pane sash in similar restored architrave above chamfered doorway with scroll-carved brackets to flat hood. 2-storey rear wing: left-side (E) return has 3-light chamfered stone-mullioned ground-floor window with leaded casements and original turnbuckles; right return has similar 2-light cross window to ground floor and C19 3/6-pane sash and centre-hung 16-pane casement to first floor. Interior: original moulded cornices throughout. Original bolection- moulded panelled doors and plain 2-panel doors; otherwise early C19 architraves and panelled doors and shutters. Front left room has early C19 reeded architraves with roundels and restored dado panelling. Front right room has late C17 bolection-moulded architrave to fireplace. Similar fireplace to rear right room which has late C19/early C20 strapwork ceiling and C18 china cupboard and dado. Stop- chamfered beam in rear kitchen. Rear left room has C18 china cupboards in recesses with bolection-moulded panelled lower doors. Entrance vestible passes into rear stair hall via lobby with groined plaster vault with bay leaf swags anf foliate 'branches'. Very fine open-well staircase with dog gates, ramped handrail, turned balusters to open string, turned pendentives and gadroomed finials. Stair rises to attic storey, which has gallery to front: this has cornicing with beading to springers beneath plaster vaulted ceiling; barrel-vaulted to end bays and groin-vaulted with ribs and pendentives to 3 central bays. Butt-purlin roof trusses. History: the 1716 rainwater head indicates that the rectory was rebuilt for Peter Blanchard (of a local gentry family) who became rector in 1714. There are no straight joints etc, suggesting that the rear wing is of the same date as the front.
N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: N Somerset and Bristol, 1958, p 340; A J H Hobbs, History of the Parish of Winford, 1954, pp 11-12.
Listing NGR: ST5297664293
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Hobbs, A J H, History of the Parish of Winford, (1954), 11-12
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 340
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing