Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129227.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-May-2021 at 07:28:45.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 46786 62718



5/157 Church of All Saints 9.2.61 G.V. I

Anglican parish church. C13 foundation, remodelled with the addition of a west tower c.1450, restored 1859 with further restoration to tower in 1948. Finely jointed squared and coursed dressed stone, some coursed rubble to clerestory, with ashlar dressings, stone copings and stone tile roof to chancel, lead roofs to remainder. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles, south porch. 5-light Perpendicular windows with panelled, chevron cusped tracery and hoodmoulds to both aisles, similar 3-light windows to clerestory. Chancel has 3-light Perpendicular window to north and south walls but a renewed 5-light C13 east window with Decorated tracery. Buttresses with set-offs, gargoyles and crocketted pinnacles to aisles, trefoil pierced triangular parapets to aisles and nave. Fine angelus bell turret with pierced panelled sides to nave-chancel gable apex. 2 statue niches to chancel angle buttresses. Tall 4-stage tower with set-back buttresses which develop into crocketted pinnacles at top stage, moulded string courses and trefoil pierced triangular parapet with gargoyles and corner pinnacles. West facade has Tudor-arched doorway with panelled reveals and heraldic shields to spandrels. 2-leaf plank and batten door. 5-light window above. 2nd stage to north and south has blind 2-light openings with hoodmoulds and lozenge stops. Bell openings with close piercing. South porch with set-back buttresses, quatrefoil pierced parapet and south-east corner stair turret. Hollow-moulded outer doorway and similarly moulded inner door with hoodmould and 2-leaf plank door. Statue niche with headless statue above door and stone early C19 busts to John Locke and Hannah More either side of door. Face corbels for former parvise above. Interior. 4-bay nave arcades with clustered shafts and vestigial floral and figure capitals. Compartmented tie beam roof with carved bosses and angel corbels. Tower arch has panelled reveals and fine fan vault below bell stage. Tie beam roofs to aisles, C19 barrel vault to chancel. Fittings. Nave has Perpendicular octagonal font with angel panels, C16 rood screen with some renewal, C19 Perpendicular style pulpit and in the south aisle, stone effigy of a priest of c.1340. Wall monument to Hannah More of 1833 above south door. Chancel has 1832 Gothic reredos by Charles Barry. Late C19 stained glass in aisles, east window and tower west window. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4678862719


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/02512/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mike Bedingfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].